Tension, horizontal & vertical tension

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a mass Z suspended by a vertical and horizontal rope. The tension in each rope is questioned for various scenarios, with the mass of Z being 800kg. The conversation also includes a discussion of drawing a free body diagram and determining forces of gravity and equilibrium. Ultimately, it is determined that the tension in the vertical rope is 9.8N, while the tension in the horizontal rope is zero.
Shortyyy

Homework Statement

A mass Z is suspended by a vertical rope attached to the roof, and a second rope attached horizontally to a wall.

what is the tension in each rope if Z is hanging straight down?

What are the rope tensions?

Suppose Z has a mass of 800kg. what is the tension in the pair of ropes?

These questions have me stumped!
ANy help appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start by drawing a free body diagram, or posting the diagram if one is give.

Also what does this mean?

Shortyyy said:
what is the tension in each rope if he is hanging straight down?

Sorry, I stuffed it up. fixed.

I have drawn a basic diagram but just do not know the formulas etc

Thanks.

Shortyyy said:
Sorry, I stuffed it up. fixed.

I have drawn a basic diagram but just do not know the formulas etc

Thanks.

Post your diagram.

(Upload it to http://imageshack.us" and copy & paste one of the forum board URLs)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6206/98546679.png

Sorry, its just a quick mockup in paint of what I have on paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
uhm what are those things in green?

Vectors? - Gravity, equilibrium, constructed vectors for the ropes?

Am i wayyyy off track?

Shortyyy said:
Vectors? - Gravity, equilibrium, constructed vectors for the ropes?

Am i wayyyy off track?

Well normally if it is hanging straight down, I don't see the point in the second horizontal rope. But given the problem, I can only tell you to draw in the forces acting and then use the fact that it is in equilibrium to get the tensions.

This is the bit I am having trouble with.
So the forces acting would be gravity pulling Z down, which needs an equal and opposite vector for equilibrium (upward). the vector of the diagonal of the parallelogram?

Its got me royally stumped.

Shortyyy said:
This is the bit I am having trouble with.
So the forces acting would be gravity pulling Z down, which needs an equal and opposite vector for equilibrium (upward). the vector of the diagonal of the parallelogram?

Its got me royally stumped.

Well if you remove all the green for the moment, you just have the ropes and the mass.

Now acting on the mass (vertically), there is tension and weight (you know that acts downwards). So what direction should the tension act in this rope?

Similarly, horizontally, there is only tension acting.

rock.freak667 said:
Well if you remove all the green for the moment, you just have the ropes and the mass.

Now acting on the mass (vertically), there is tension and weight (you know that acts downwards). So what direction should the tension act in this rope?

Similarly, horizontally, there is only tension acting.

Vertically the direction of the tension in the rope should be upward.
Horizontally the tension in the rope should be acting toward the wall?

Shortyyy said:
Vertically the direction of the tension in the rope should be upward.
Horizontally the tension in the rope should be acting toward the wall?

Yes that is correct. So if vertically the mass does not move, what is the resultant force in the vertical direction? (Do the same horizontally)

rock.freak667 said:
Yes that is correct. So if vertically the mass does not move, what is the resultant force in the vertical direction? (Do the same horizontally)

So the tension on the vertical rope is 9.8N? same for the horizontal?

i'm confused with the horizontal one

i think there is only one force on horizontal direction which is tension towards the wall.
if so, then the system isn't in equilibrium
?

Precisely why the horizontal force is zero =)

oh, i see
hahahahahaha

but in fact i think it's possible to construct such system. I hang the mass and add a horizontal string which has a certain value of tension

songoku said:
oh, i see
hahahahahaha

but in fact i think it's possible to construct such system. I hang the mass and add a horizontal string which has a certain value of tension
The horizontal string won't have any tension value unless you intentionally tighten it up and induce a value in it, in which case the mass and the upper rope will swing in toward the wall at a certain angle, but that's a different problem.

Well yes, you can add the horizontal string, but if the mass is hanging vertically downwards, that must mean the horizontal string isn't taut.

thanks for the explanation ^^

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched in opposite directions. It is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, and can be found in various forms, including horizontal and vertical tension.

2. What is horizontal tension?

Horizontal tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched in a horizontal direction. This type of tension can be found in structures such as bridges, where the weight of the bridge is supported by the tension in the cables.

3. What is vertical tension?

Vertical tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched in a vertical direction. This type of tension can be found in structures such as tall buildings, where the weight of the building is supported by the tension in the columns and beams.

4. How do tension forces affect structures?

Tension forces play a crucial role in the stability and strength of structures. Horizontal tension helps to distribute weight and provide stability, while vertical tension helps to support and balance the weight of the structure. Without proper tension forces, structures can collapse or become unstable.

5. How can tension forces be calculated?

Tension forces can be calculated using equations such as Newton's Second Law, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. The amount of tension in a structure can also be calculated using the properties of the materials used and the angle at which the forces are applied.