Integrand approaching sin(x)/x

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary, the author has found a way to prove that if f:[0,R]\to\mathbb{R} is monotonic and differentiable, then\lim_{A\to\infty} \int\limits_0^{R} \frac{\sin(Ax)}{x} f(x)dx = \frac{\pi}{2}f(0).
jostpuur
I know how to prove

[tex]
\int\limits_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}
[/tex]

using complex analysis, and I know how to prove

[tex]
\lim_{N\to\infty} 2N\sin\Big(\frac{x}{2N}\Big) = x
[/tex]

using series. I have some reason to believe, that if [itex]0<A<\pi[/itex], then

[tex]
\lim_{N\to\infty} \int\limits_0^{NA} \frac{\sin(x)}{2N\sin(\frac{x}{2N})} dx = \frac{\pi}{2},
[/tex]

but don't know how to prove this. Anyone knowing how to accomplish this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let I denote the integral you are evaluating. Substitute t = x/N (N*dt = dx) to get

[tex]

I = \frac{1}{2} \lim_{N\to\infty} \int\limits_0^{A} \frac{\sin(Nt)}{\sin(\frac{t}{2})} \, dt = \frac{1}{2} \lim_{n\to\infty} \int\limits_0^{A} \frac{\sin((n+\frac{1}{2})t)}{\sin(\frac{t}{2})} \, dt

[/tex]

We transformed the original expression I into a limit of integrals over a fixed interval. The integrand of the last expression is the Dirichlet Kernel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirichlet_kernel

Using the identity from the wikipedia article, find out what happens if we let [tex]A = \pi[/tex]

A clever application of the Riemann-Lebesgue Lemma (Theorem 1 (2)):

http://www.math.washington.edu/~morrow/335_07/rl_lemma.pdf

solves the problem. It is not obvious what f(t) should be, but remember you have the dirichlet kernel and the improper sine integral you guessed would equal I.

This outlined approach amounts to nothing more than an elementary evaluation of the improper sinx / x integral.

Actually I was originally trying to read stuff about Dirichlet's kernel (and I encountered the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma at the same time), but I didn't feel like understanding the proofs, then tried to do them my own way, and arrived at the problem that I described in the first post. Your advise to apply Dirichlet's kernel results merely directed me back to my original problems. Anyway, you were right that I should return back towards the books, since my problem in the first post was not in the right direction.

It seems that I have now finally understood some basic techniques of the Fourier analysis. The big problem (to which my previous problem can be reduced to), is the question

[tex]
\lim_{A\to\infty} \int\limits_0^{R} \frac{\sin(Ax)}{x} f(x)dx = \frac{\pi}{2}f(0)?
[/tex]

I have now understood how to prove this if [itex]f:[0,R]\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is monotonic and differentiable, using the second mean value theorem (or some version of it) at the heart of the proof. A great achievement! Finally, years of confusion have reached their end. :cool:

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "Integrand approaching sin(x)/x"?

The phrase "integrand approaching sin(x)/x" refers to the behavior of a mathematical function as its input variable (x) approaches a certain value, in this case, the value of the sine function divided by x.

2. Why is "Integrand approaching sin(x)/x" important in mathematics?

The concept of "integrand approaching sin(x)/x" is important because it demonstrates the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value, which can help to predict the behavior of the function as a whole and provide valuable insights for solving mathematical problems.

3. How is "Integrand approaching sin(x)/x" calculated?

The calculation of "integrand approaching sin(x)/x" involves finding the limit of a function as its input variable approaches a specific value, which can be determined using various methods such as algebraic manipulation or the use of L'Hopital's rule.

4. What are the practical applications of "Integrand approaching sin(x)/x"?

The concept of "integrand approaching sin(x)/x" has practical applications in various fields of mathematics, including calculus, physics, and engineering. It can also be used to approximate the value of certain integrals and to solve differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to "Integrand approaching sin(x)/x"?

While the concept of "integrand approaching sin(x)/x" is useful in many mathematical applications, it does have some limitations. It may not provide an accurate representation of the function's behavior at values far from the approaching point, and it may not work for all types of functions, particularly those that are discontinuous or undefined at the approaching point.