A Simple yet complicated question.

• Thread starter Poweranimals
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the slope of a line passing through two points and determine whether the line rises or falls. The correct answer is -1, indicating that the line falls one unit for every unit moved to the right. The answer of -2/2 is incorrect and should be simplified to -1.
Poweranimals
The problem is "Find the slope of the line passing through the two points and indicate whether the line rises or falls."

Now I figured out that the answer was -2/2,= -2 and that it falls, but I'm not sure if they want me to simplify in this particular case. Any ideas? Because the answer can simplifly to -1 and falling.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First off, the question makes no sense. You didn't give us enough detail.

Second off, it looks to me like you are just getting your homework done on here, which isn't allowed. This is the 2nd post I've seen which resembles quesitons like this.

Paden Roder

well, all you have to do is get the gradient...

[tex]
m = \frac {y_2 - y_1} {x_2 - x_1}
[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
futb0l said:
well, all you have to do is get the gradient...

[tex]
m = \frac {y_2 - y_1} {x_2 - x_1}
[/tex]
That's what I did. Just wasn't sure if I needed to simplify it or not. I'm still having trouble getting this down as I'm studying for a big test.

Well then, if the gradient is negative, it will be falling and it if it's positive it will be rising.
Since the gradient has the same meaning as the 'rate'.

If the rate of water from the tank is decreasing by 35mm (having a gradient of -35)...
then the water level will be falling.

Falling was my conclusion, but it also asks by how much it is rising of falling. The answer to my equation was -[tex]\frac {2_2}[/tex] but that can be reduced to -[tex]\frac {1/1}[/tex]. Although, since this is graphing, I wasn't sure if that was necassary.

Last edited:
Simplify it, then look at the result to determine how fast it's rising or falling. Usually you leave it as an improper fraction (like 5/2), but you make sure it's a simplified improper fraction (not like 10/4).

A slope of -1 means it falls down one unit for every unit you move to the right. A sloe of 1 means it climbs one unit for every unit you move to the right. A slope of -2/3 means it falls two units for every three units you move to the right.

Poweranimals said:
Now I figured out that the answer was -2/2,= -2 and that it falls, but I'm not sure if they want me to simplify in this particular case. Any ideas? Because the answer can simplifly to -1 and falling.

-2/2 = -2 is certainly wrong:
-2/2 = -1

When you go 2 to the "right" you go 2 down, so the slope is minus 1. The slope would be minus 2 if you would have to go 2 down when you go 1 to the right.

What is the meaning of "A Simple yet complicated question"?

The meaning of "A Simple yet complicated question" is that it may seem straightforward at first, but upon further examination, it reveals layers of complexity and difficulty.

Why is this question considered simple yet complicated?

This question is considered simple yet complicated because it appears to be a basic question, but it requires deeper thought and analysis to fully understand its complexities.

Can you give an example of a simple yet complicated question?

One example of a simple yet complicated question is "What is the meaning of life?" On the surface, it seems like a simple question, but it has been pondered by philosophers and scientists for centuries and has no definitive answer.

Why is it important to consider both simplicity and complexity in a question?

Considering both simplicity and complexity in a question allows for a more thorough and well-rounded understanding of the topic at hand. It also encourages critical thinking and exploration of multiple perspectives.

How can one effectively approach a simple yet complicated question?

To effectively approach a simple yet complicated question, one should break it down into smaller parts and analyze each component separately. It is also helpful to consider different perspectives and gather information from various sources to gain a more comprehensive understanding.