Need to interview a Computer Hardware Engineer for school project

In summary, the individual is new to the forum and is seeking to interview a Computer Hardware Engineer for a school project. They ask about the motivation for pursuing this career, the annual salary, job satisfaction, advantages and disadvantages of the field, required/recommended courses in high school and college, demand in the workforce, and advice for students interested in this career. The thread is then locked due to the forum no longer allowing interview threads.
CJG
Hi. I'm new here, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Wasn't sure if I needed to post this in the Homework section, but this is basically something for an in-school project.

I need to interview a Computer Hardware Engineer for my Principles of Engineering class at my high school. If anyone here is a Computer Hardware Engineer, it would be much appreciated if you could answer some of my interview questions.

1. What influenced you to apply for this career?
  2. What is your approximate annual salary?
  3. Do you enjoy working in this career and why?
  4. What are some advantages and disadvantages of working in this field?
  5. What courses in high school are required/recommended to become a Computer Hardware Engineer? in college?
  6. Is there a demand in the work force for computer hardware engineers?
  7. What advice would you give to students who are interested in this career?
  8. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best; what would you rate this career?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
CJG said:
Hi. I'm new here, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Wasn't sure if I needed to post this in the Homework section, but this is basically something for an in-school project.

I need to interview a Computer Hardware Engineer for my Principles of Engineering class at my high school. If anyone here is a Computer Hardware Engineer, it would be much appreciated if you could answer some of my interview questions.

5. What courses in high school are required/recommended to become a Computer Hardware Engineer? in college?
  6. Is there a demand in the work force for computer hardware engineers?
  8. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best; what would you rate this career?

Sorry, we no longer allow interview threads here on the PF. They can sometimes be used for identity info mining, so we stopped allowing them. Thread locked.

I'll PM you answers to some of the questions, though.

Hello there,

I am happy to help with your project and provide some insights as a computer hardware engineer. To answer your questions:

I have always been interested in technology and how it works. Growing up, I would take apart and put back together my family's computer just for fun. This curiosity and passion for understanding how things work ultimately led me to pursue a career in computer hardware engineering.

Salary can vary depending on experience, location, and company, but on average, a computer hardware engineer can make around $100,000 to $150,000 per year.

I absolutely enjoy working in this career. Every day is different and presents new challenges to solve. I get to work with cutting-edge technology and see the impact of my work in the real world.

One of the advantages is the constant learning and growth opportunities. Technology is always evolving, so there is always something new to learn. On the other hand, the fast-paced nature of the industry can also be a disadvantage, as it can be challenging to keep up with the rapid changes.

5. What courses in high school are required/recommended to become a Computer Hardware Engineer? In college?
In high school, it is recommended to take courses in math, science, and computer science. In college, computer engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science are all good majors to prepare for a career in computer hardware engineering.

6. Is there a demand in the workforce for computer hardware engineers?
Yes, there is a high demand for computer hardware engineers. With the increasing use of technology in various industries, there is a constant need for professionals who can design, develop, and maintain computer hardware.

My advice would be to start learning and exploring as much as possible. Take advantage of any opportunities to gain hands-on experience, whether it's through internships, projects, or tinkering with hardware on your own. Also, stay updated on the latest technological advancements and continuously develop your skills.

I would rate this career a 9. It has its challenges, but the satisfaction of seeing your

1. What is the role of a computer hardware engineer?

A computer hardware engineer is responsible for designing, developing, and testing computer hardware components such as processors, memory, and circuit boards. They also work to improve existing hardware and ensure compatibility with software systems.

2. What education and skills are required to become a computer hardware engineer?

Most computer hardware engineers have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science. They also need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as knowledge of computer programming and circuit design.

3. What types of projects does a computer hardware engineer typically work on?

A computer hardware engineer may work on a variety of projects, including designing new computer systems, developing hardware for specific applications, or improving existing hardware components. They may also work on projects related to emerging technologies, such as virtual reality or artificial intelligence.

4. What is the process for testing and evaluating computer hardware?

Computer hardware engineers use a variety of testing methods, including simulation software, to evaluate the performance and functionality of hardware components. They also conduct extensive testing and troubleshooting to ensure compatibility and reliability.

5. How does a computer hardware engineer stay updated on new technologies and advancements?

A computer hardware engineer must constantly stay updated on the latest technologies and advancements in the field. This can involve attending conferences, workshops, and training programs, as well as conducting research and networking with other professionals in the industry.