Calculating the Velocity Vector of a Tennis Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity vector for a tennis ball after being hit with a racket. The force and mass of the ball are mentioned, but it is noted that the time over which the force is applied is also needed to calculate the trajectory. The role of impulse and drag in determining the final velocity is also mentioned, as well as the potential for lift forces from the shape or rotation of the ball.
vertex78
Trying to get my head around the velocity vector that a tennis ball goes after it is hit with a tennis racket. To make matter easier, I am only thinking about it in terms as if the ball is sitting in midair motionless when the racket hits it.

Say the ball is hit with a force of 1N and the mass of the ball is 0.057kg then the acceleration is 1N/0.057kg. Is this enough information to calculate the trajectory of the tennis ball?

Even though the ball height verses distance is in one plane, determining what angle that plane is in relative to where the player is standing confuses me as well. I have a feeling I an just conceptualizing things wrong.

(And no this is in no way related to a homework question)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the force, you would also need to know the time over which that force is applied. The longer the force is applied, the faster the ball will be going at the end. The product (actually integral) of force and time is called impulse, and it does provide enough information to calculate the final velocity of the tennis ball.

you would need to know the vector forces of which the ball was hit, time of acceleration and then the path would be the negative acceleration due to drag in the x and then acceleation due to gravity in the y assuming you are only lookin at x and y and not considering a cross wind which would then give you a z component.
just a thought, since my mind is currently on this, would there be any lift forces involved either from the shape of the ball or its rotation?

1. How is the velocity vector of a tennis ball calculated?

The velocity vector of a tennis ball is calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time. This formula takes into account the magnitude and direction of the ball's movement.

2. What factors affect the velocity vector of a tennis ball?

The velocity vector of a tennis ball can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, surface friction, spin, and the angle at which the ball is hit. These factors can alter the magnitude and direction of the ball's velocity.

3. How can the velocity vector of a tennis ball be measured?

The velocity vector of a tennis ball can be measured using specialized equipment such as a radar gun or a high-speed camera. These devices can accurately capture the speed and direction of the ball's movement.

4. Can the velocity vector of a tennis ball change during flight?

Yes, the velocity vector of a tennis ball can change during flight due to external forces such as air resistance and spin. The ball's trajectory and speed can also be affected by the characteristics of the surface it bounces on.

5. Why is it important to calculate the velocity vector of a tennis ball?

Calculating the velocity vector of a tennis ball is important for understanding its movement and predicting its trajectory. This information can help players adjust their shots and improve their gameplay. It is also crucial for coaches and scientists studying the physics of tennis.