Eqs of motion for 2-body problem in EM?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of motion for two charges in an electromagnetic field, taking into account the relativistic case where propagation time is considered. The equations involve the mass and position vectors of each particle, as well as the concept of "retarded time". The equations are complicated and not very useful in classical physics, but they are necessary for understanding certain aspects of the Lagrangian.
pellman
What are the equations of motion for two charges where the two charges are the only sources for the EM field? (No background field)

What I'm looking for is given two particles of mass m_1 and m_2 with respective position vectors x_1 and x_2, what are f_1 and f_2 such that

[tex]m_1\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}=f_1(x_1,\dot{x}_1,x_2,\dot{x}_2)[/tex]

[tex]m_2\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2}=f_2(x_1,\dot{x}_1,x_2,\dot{x}_2)[/tex]

?

Anyone know of a text which covers this? A Lagrangian or Hamiltonian for the same situation would do as well.

I'm looking for the relativistic case in which the propagation time is taken into effect. That is, [tex]x_2,\dot{x}_2[/tex] in the expression for [tex]f_1[/tex] should be taken at the "retarded time", and similarly for [tex]x_1,\dot{x}_1[/tex] in [tex]f_2[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must mean the second time derivative.
The equations for f are quite complicated, and just about useless in classical physics because they involve the retarded time and the acceleration itself.
The equations for constant velocity of each particle are simpler, but they are useless if the particles start to accelerate (or had been accelerating in the past).

clem said:
You must mean the second time derivative.

Thanks! Of course. I corrected it.

The equations for f are quite complicated, and just about useless in classical physics because they involve the retarded time and the acceleration itself.

Oh, I know the solutions are useless. My purpose is that I want to understand certain aspects of the Lagrangian. And to make sure I have the correct Lagrangian, it needs to be able to yield the equations of motion. Or, as I say in OP, I'd be happy with the correct Lagrangian itself.

1. What is the equation of motion for a 2-body problem in electromagnetic (EM) fields?

The equation of motion for a 2-body problem in EM fields is given by the Lorentz force equation, which states that the net force on a charged particle is equal to the sum of the electric and magnetic forces acting on it. This can be written as F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of charged particles?

Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field. Magnetic fields, on the other hand, exert a force perpendicular to both the direction of the field and the particle's velocity, resulting in circular or helical motion. In combination, these fields can cause complex trajectories for charged particles.

3. How does the mass of a particle affect its motion in EM fields?

The mass of a particle affects its motion in EM fields through the force of gravity. In the presence of a gravitational field, the equation of motion becomes F = q(E + v x B) + mg, where m is the mass of the particle and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This additional force may alter the trajectory of the particle, depending on its magnitude and direction.

4. Can the equation of motion for a 2-body problem be solved analytically?

Yes, the equation of motion for a 2-body problem in EM fields can be solved analytically for simple cases, such as circular or elliptical orbits. However, for more complex scenarios, numerical methods are often used to find solutions.

5. How do the equations of motion change in the presence of a changing EM field?

In the presence of a changing EM field, the equations of motion can become more complex. This is because the electric and magnetic fields are no longer constant, and their effects must be taken into account when solving for the motion of charged particles. In these cases, the equations of motion may involve time derivatives of the fields, making them more difficult to solve analytically.