Liberal Arts Graduates at Top Math Grad Schools?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Invariant25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Schools
In summary, the conversation is seeking advice from someone who has attended a liberal arts college as an undergraduate and then pursued a pure math PhD at either Princeton or Stanford. The speaker mentions that students from their alma mater have had difficulty getting into top PhD programs, but they have been accepted into three. They are looking for advice from someone with a similar background, but have been unable to find anyone who graduated after 1980.
Invariant25
Has anyone here gone to a liberal arts college as an undergraduate and then went on to pursue a pure math PhD at Princeton or Stanford (or know someone who has)?

In recent years, students from my alma mater (a small liberal arts college) have had trouble getting into the top mathematics PhD programs (with the exception of UChicago). However, I have been very lucky and have gained acceptance to three. I would like advice from someone with a background similar to mine, but I have been unable to find anyone with relevant experiences who graduated after 1980.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

1. What is the benefit of a liberal arts degree for a student applying to a top math graduate school?

A liberal arts degree can provide a well-rounded education, with courses in various disciplines such as literature, history, and social sciences. This can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are valuable in any field, including mathematics.

2. Do liberal arts graduates have the necessary math background for top math graduate programs?

While liberal arts degrees may not have a heavy focus on math courses, many programs still require students to take a certain number of math courses. Additionally, liberal arts graduates may have taken math courses that are applicable to their chosen field of study, such as statistics or computer science.

3. How can a liberal arts graduate stand out among applicants with more math-centered degrees?

Liberal arts graduates can highlight their unique perspective and interdisciplinary skills in their application. They can also showcase their experience with research, internships, and extracurricular activities that demonstrate their passion and dedication to mathematics.

4. Are there any specific top math graduate programs that are more open to liberal arts graduates?

Every program is different, and admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors. However, some top math graduate schools may value the diverse perspectives and skills that liberal arts graduates bring to the table. It is important for applicants to thoroughly research each program and tailor their application accordingly.

5. What career paths are available for liberal arts graduates with a math graduate degree?

Liberal arts graduates with a math graduate degree can pursue a variety of careers, including data analysis, actuarial science, market research, and academia. Their interdisciplinary background can also make them attractive candidates for management and leadership roles in various industries.