Is Undergrad Research Important for Grad School Admission?

In summary: So, while they can help get you in the door, they won't guarantee success in the long run.In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of undergraduate research in the graduate school application process. The tone of the conversation suggests that grades are more important than research experience, but having some research experience can still be beneficial. Letters of recommendation may help with the application process, but ultimately it is the quality of work that will determine success in grad school.
awri
Upon visiting the mechanical engineering dept at a school I am thinking of attending, (or was) I had several interviews with dept heads and professors, etc. They were very curious about my GPA and one asked about my GRE. I thought however that undergrad research was important. I mentioned it several times and no one even once seemed interested that I had done some. Does this mean they were pretty much not interested and I should forget about this program?

Physics news on Phys.org
awri said:
I mentioned it several times and no one even once seemed interested that I had done some.
Personally I don't rate ugrad research experience.
Does it mean a final year project that you did significant independant work on yourself?
Or is it the same research project, with the same apparatus that everyone does every year?
Or does it mean you interned as a lab monkey and the prof put your name on the end of a conference paper?

I am much more interested in the course work you did day-in and day-out to score the marks, research is about sticking to it rather than genius

awri said:
Does this mean they were pretty much not interested and I should forget about this program?
Only scrap a program you're not interested in, doing it for just about any other reason is just silly. As mgb_phys points out, they could just honestly not care all that much 'cause they know the game so it's not so interesting. Some people also just want to see that you have experience, but don't really care about the specifics (kind of like jobs in a way). It's very person specific that way, though for the record my friend got asked about his research when talking to interviewers at a different school.

I thought however that undergrad research was important
Yes and no. A professor was describing the committee process to me, and he said that things like recs/research play a role 'cause professors who have funding and no students in mind will look to those things and GPA/GRE to pick people. Different professors care about different things 'cause they're human that way.

mgb_phys said:
Personally I don't rate ugrad research experience.
Does it mean a final year project that you did significant independant work on yourself?
Or is it the same research project, with the same apparatus that everyone does every year?
Or does it mean you interned as a lab monkey and the prof put your name on the end of a conference paper?

I am much more interested in the course work you did day-in and day-out to score the marks, research is about sticking to it rather than genius

It is actually a real project I have been doing myself. Painstakingly.

story645 said:
Only scrap a program you're not interested in, doing it for just about any other reason is just silly. As mgb_phys points out, they could just honestly not care all that much 'cause they know the game so it's not so interesting. Some people also just want to see that you have experience, but don't really care about the specifics (kind of like jobs in a way). It's very person specific that way, though for the record my friend got asked about his research when talking to interviewers at a different school.

Yes and no. A professor was describing the committee process to me, and he said that things like recs/research play a role 'cause professors who have funding and no students in mind will look to those things and GPA/GRE to pick people. Different professors care about different things 'cause they're human that way.

Thanks for the advice, I was confused because the tones I was getting wern't "get out of my office" but they wern't "I want you to do research for me" either.

awri said:
Sorry - I didn't mean you personally
I meant, I can't know which, that's why I care more about grades etc than ugrad research claims.

Don't take it personally, they might not have had funding, they might just have not gelled with you personally - it doesn't mean you aren't good enough

awri said:

Is it supervised by a professor or PI? If so, perhaps the people just weren't interested in the topic or didn't understand what you were doing. Happens all the time.

If it's not supervised, then I wouldn't classify it as "undergrad research" in the way it's understood in grad school applications. It's personal investigation, or a hobby, and doesn't mean much, just that you're inquisitive like every other grad school applicant.

awri said:
They were very curious about my GPA and one asked about my GRE. I thought however that undergrad research was important.

For me, undergrad research is much less important than most students believe. At interviews for grad school, the important thing is to show them that you're capable. This is done primarily with grades. The only things that are interesting about undergrad research is that, because you've probably worked on a larger scale project than is 'normal', you'll have a bit more experience in terms of the ups-and-downs of work.

So, I would say that merely knowing that undergrad research has been completed and that the student is still interested in grad school afterwards is an encouraging factor. Knowing exactly what the student did, unless directly applicable to what they'll be doing at grad level, isn't all that important.

It seems that, according to this thread. grades are important as a measure of one's competence. Undergraduate research is important not because of what it covers, but simply to show that this person has had experience with research and is still interested in graduate school.

For the folks that are replying with an insider's perspective, how would letters of recommendation factor into the equation?

DarrenM said:
For the folks that are replying with an insider's perspective, how would letters of recommendation factor into the equation?

I would say, again, that letters of recommendation are good to get you noticed in the application process, but don't carry too much weight when it comes to the final decision of who gets the job. There will be exceptions: if the doctor you're applying to work with happens to personally know the doctor recommending you, then there's automatically a personal connection, but I guess this doesn't necessarily translate to bias.

Letters of recommendation, or references in general, are necessary because they'll show that someone else things you're worthy, and so help with the initial sifting of applications. When it comes down to who to pick for the job, however, I would say most people make the decision based on their own impressions of you during the interview.

This is something that obviously varies from person to person, if you can get a letter of recommendation then the important thing is that it isn't going to hurt your chances, so go for it!

Mapes said:
Is it supervised by a professor or PI?

It was in fact. One of my professors.

fasterthanjoao said:
For me, undergrad research is much less important than most students believe. At interviews for grad school, the important thing is to show them that you're capable. This is done primarily with grades. The only things that are interesting about undergrad research is that, because you've probably worked on a larger scale project than is 'normal', you'll have a bit more experience in terms of the ups-and-downs of work.

So, I would say that merely knowing that undergrad research has been completed and that the student is still interested in grad school afterwards is an encouraging factor. Knowing exactly what the student did, unless directly applicable to what they'll be doing at grad level, isn't all that important.

Thats a bummer, my grades are not what would be called impressive. I made the mistake of completing two majors, thinking it would be highly valuable to grad school to have students who were diverse and could handle a lot. They didn't particularly care about this either. I really wished I wold have asked these questions when I was a freshman. I just figured that what I was doing made sense and that my academic adviser would steer me the right way. Guess not lol.

Hopefully you have other visits upcoming, so you can feel out the vibes from professors in those programs. You've been accepted to this program, so they (at least those on the committee) must think you can be successful there, but now it's up to you to find the right match.

Also: I think sometimes professors are a bit stand-offish because often they don't want to pick you up in their program until you've completed your core courses / qualifiers... at this "visiting stage" they might be feeling a bit harassed by students trying to get directly into research and avoid an often standard term of being a TA. (BTW, when I was an entering grad student, I was offered an RA slot by a lab with a big reputation, but turned it down because I knew my personality would likely clash with the professor in the long term. I TA-ed for a term and found a good match by the second semester.)

physics girl phd said:
Hopefully you have other visits upcoming, so you can feel out the vibes from professors in those programs. You've been accepted to this program, so they (at least those on the committee) must think you can be successful there, but now it's up to you to find the right match.

Also: I think sometimes professors are a bit stand-offish because often they don't want to pick you up in their program until you've completed your core courses / qualifiers... at this "visiting stage" they might be feeling a bit harassed by students trying to get directly into research and avoid an often standard term of being a TA. (BTW, when I was an entering grad student, I was offered an RA slot by a lab with a big reputation, but turned it down because I knew my personality would likely clash with the professor in the long term. I TA-ed for a term and found a good match by the second semester.)

Id love to say that i'd already been accepted to the program but I havnt been yet. However I do meet their requirements so being accepted shouldn't be a problem, its getting funded. I actually would have to be a TA for at least the first year since I have to take remedial courses. I was a physics / comp sci major in undergrad and I am trying to go to engineering school. I tried to seem as open as possible during the interviews. And yes I am visiting other schools.

1. What is the purpose of visiting a grad school?

Visiting a grad school allows you to get a firsthand experience of the campus, facilities, and atmosphere of the school. It also gives you the opportunity to meet with faculty and current students, ask questions, and get a better understanding of the program and its requirements.

2. How should I prepare for a grad school visit?

Before visiting a grad school, it is important to research the program and the school. Make a list of questions you have about the program and the campus. It is also helpful to dress professionally and bring a notebook and pen to take notes during your visit.

3. How long does a typical grad school visit last?

The length of a grad school visit can vary, but most visits last between 1-2 hours. This typically includes a campus tour, meeting with faculty, and attending an information session.

4. Can I bring someone with me on my grad school visit?

Yes, you can bring someone with you on your grad school visit. It is common for students to bring a family member or friend for support and to get a second opinion.

5. Do I have to visit a grad school before applying?

No, visiting a grad school before applying is not mandatory. However, it is highly recommended as it can give you a better understanding of the program and help you make an informed decision about where to apply.