What are Better Coupling Reagents for Reacting an Amine with a Carboxylic Acid?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, coupling reagents such as HATU, HBTU, and EDC are commonly used to react an amine with a carboxylic acid. These reagents are effective in forming stable amide bonds and minimizing side reactions. Other factors to consider when choosing a coupling reagent include solubility, cost, and ease of use. Ultimately, the choice of coupling reagent will depend on the specific reaction conditions and desired outcome.
gravenewworld
I'm trying to find a coupling reagent for reacting an amine with a carboxylic acid. Currently I am using TBTU with fenchyl amine hydrochloride, but the amine seems not to want to react witht the carboxylic acid. Are there some better coupling reagents than TBTU out there that anyone knows of?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Here's a whole list of them:

http://www.glschina.com/en/pro/peppro/cou.htm

They've got the CAS numbers listed there so you can cross-reference them to a chemical catalog.

I would say the ones I have seen the most often are CDI, HOBT, DCC, and EDCI.

awesome thanks!

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, however you two dudes seem into this whole chemistry game.

Perhaps you'd be interested in the following forum:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/

1. What are amide coupling reagents used for?

Amide coupling reagents are commonly used in organic synthesis to join two molecules together to form an amide bond. This reaction is important in the production of pharmaceuticals, biologically active compounds, and polymers.

2. How do amide coupling reagents work?

Amide coupling reagents work by activating the carboxylic acid group of one molecule and the amine group of another molecule. This allows the two groups to react and form an amide bond, with the help of a catalyst or coupling agent.

3. What are some common amide coupling reagents?

Some common amide coupling reagents include N,N'-dicyclohexylcarbodiimide (DCC), N,N'-diisopropylcarbodiimide (DIC), and N-ethyl-N'-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)carbodiimide (EDC). These reagents are often used in combination with other catalysts, such as 1-hydroxybenzotriazole (HOBt) or N-hydroxysuccinimide (NHS).

4. What are the advantages of using amide coupling reagents?

Amide coupling reagents offer several advantages in organic synthesis, including high efficiency, mild reaction conditions, and compatibility with a wide range of functional groups. They also produce minimal side products, making them suitable for large-scale reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using amide coupling reagents?

Some limitations of amide coupling reagents include the formation of racemic mixtures and potential side reactions, such as epimerization or formation of cyclic peptides. Additionally, certain functional groups, such as alcohols or thiols, may interfere with the reaction and require additional protection steps.