Acid/Base Titration: 200.0 mL of 0.100 M (C2H5)2NH & 0.100 M HCl

• Thread starter stlrams_fan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation involved discussing the ranking of titrations by pH and the use of the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. It was suggested to calculate the pH at the equivalence point using known pKa values. However, it was noted that there is no buffer at the equivalence point and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation may not be accurate. A titration site was provided for further information.
stlrams_fan

Homework Statement

Supposed to rank a bunch of titrations in order of pH; Here is one of the many...
200.0 mL of 0.100 M (C2H5)2NH (Kb = 1.3 x 10-3) by 0.100 M HCl

Homework Equations

Henderson–Hasselbalch equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start, I'm trying to help a friend (obv. doing a great job).
If someone could help do this one I think I'll remember how to do these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean the pH at the equivalence point of the titration

stlrams_fan said:
I mean the pH at the equivalence point of the titration

What it sounds like you are looking for are the various pH ranges that every buffer has. The equivalence point is when the moles of acid = moles of base (not necessarily pH=7); so various inorganic and organic buffers will have equivalence points in certain ranges that are suitable to various applications, i.e. reactions. You can use the H.H. equation and known pKa value to calculate pH for various buffers

gabriels-horn said:
What it sounds like you are looking for are the various pH ranges that every buffer has.

There is no buffer at the equivalence point.

Well... technically you can argue that it exists. But Henderson-Hasselbalch equation will fail miserably.

Sorry for the last reply, your replies were too late to help my friend. But I still want to know for my own benefit, so thanks.

What is acid/base titration?

Acid/base titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an acid or base solution by reacting it with a solution of known concentration.

What is the purpose of conducting an acid/base titration?

The purpose of an acid/base titration is to accurately determine the concentration of an unknown acid or base solution. This information can be important for a variety of scientific and industrial applications.

How does acid/base titration work?

In acid/base titration, a known volume of a solution with a known concentration, called the titrant, is slowly added to a measured volume of the unknown solution. The reaction between the two solutions is monitored using an indicator or pH meter until the reaction reaches the equivalence point, where the moles of acid and base are equal.

What is the equation for this specific acid/base titration?

The equation for this specific acid/base titration is: (C2H5)2NH + HCl → (C2H5)2NH2Cl

How can the concentration of the unknown solution be calculated from the titration data?

The concentration of the unknown solution can be calculated using the formula: M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the concentration of the titrant, V1 is the volume of titrant used, M2 is the concentration of the unknown solution, and V2 is the volume of the unknown solution used in the titration.