Fastener Tightening Methods: Definition & Comparison

In summary, the conversation discusses three different methods for tightening fasteners: torque method, rotation angle method, and torque gradient or yield point method. The first method involves using a torque wrench to tighten to a specific torque, while the second method involves taking up all thread slack and using a wrench to rotate the fastener a specific number of degrees. The third method, which the speaker is not familiar with, involves measuring the fastener for stretch length as it is being tightened. The purpose and differences of each method are unclear and further clarification is requested.
wahyudi.jr
dear all,

in object fasteners we usually use one of the three tightening method :

1. torque method
2. rotation angle method
3. torque gradient method or yield point method

my ask is :

1. "what's the meaning of each fasteners tightening method above?"
2. what's the difference of each fasteners tightening method above?

note : especially for number 3, please give me a detailed explanation...(thanks before)

rgrds
wahyudi.jr

Engineering news on Phys.org
not too sure on the gradiant method
torque method uses a torque wrench to tighten to specific torque
rotational method i assume means you take up all thread slack and use a wrench to rotate the fastener so many degrees until you make spec
i do know there is a method where as you tighten the bolt and measure it for stretch length.

1. What is the definition of fastener tightening methods?

Fastener tightening methods refer to the techniques used to secure two or more objects together by tightening a fastener, such as a bolt or screw. These methods are essential in various industries, including manufacturing, construction, and automotive.

2. What are the different types of fastener tightening methods?

There are several types of fastener tightening methods, including torque, angle, and yield methods. Torque method involves tightening the fastener to a specific torque value, while angle method involves tightening the fastener to a specific angle. Yield method, on the other hand, involves tightening the fastener until it reaches its yield point.

3. How do these fastener tightening methods compare to each other?

Each fastener tightening method has its advantages and disadvantages. Torque method is the most commonly used and is relatively easy to perform, but it may not always provide accurate results. Angle method provides more precise results, but it requires specialized equipment and may be more time-consuming. Yield method is the most accurate, but it can only be used with specific fasteners and may not be suitable for all applications.

4. What are some factors to consider when choosing a fastener tightening method?

The choice of fastener tightening method depends on various factors, including the type of fastener, the material of the objects being secured, the required level of accuracy, and the application. For example, torque method may be suitable for general applications, while angle or yield methods may be necessary for more critical applications.

5. How can I ensure the proper tightening of fasteners using these methods?

The key to ensuring the proper tightening of fasteners is to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations for the specific fastener and application. It is also crucial to use calibrated tools and equipment, perform regular maintenance, and conduct proper training for those responsible for fastener tightening to ensure accuracy and consistency.