If f is differentiable at x = a, evaluate lim[h->0] (f(a+2h)-f(a+3h))/h

In summary, the problem is asking us to evaluate the limit of (f(a+2h)-f(a+3h))/h when h approaches 0, and we can use the fact that f'(a) = lim[h->0] (f(a+h)-f(a))/h to simplify the expression. By manipulating the expression and taking advantage of the properties of limits, we can arrive at the final solution of -f'(a).
kbgregory

Homework Statement

If f is differentiable at x = a, evaluate lim[h->0] (f(a+2h)-f(a+3h))/h

Homework Equations

We know that f'(a) = lim[h->0] (f(a+h)-f(a))/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the following, and I am not sure if it is correct, though the result makes sense intuitively:

lim[h->0] (f(a+2h)-f(a+3h))/h

= 2* lim[h->0] (f(a+2h)-f(a+3h))/ (2*h)

= 2* lim[h->0] (f(a+2h)-f(a)-f(a+3h)+f(a))/ (2*h)

= 2* { lim[h->0] (f(a+2h)-f(a))/(2*h) } - 2*{lim[h->0] f(a+3h)-f(a))/ (2*h)

And here is part about which I am unsure, since I am working with multiples of h:

= 2*f'(a) - 3*{lim[h->0] f(a+3h)-f(a))/ 3*h)

= 2*f'(a) - 3*f'(a) = -f'(a)

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

1. What does the notation "f(a+2h)" mean?

The notation "f(a+2h)" means to substitute the value of (a+2h) into the function f. This is known as the "input" or "argument" of the function.

2. What is the significance of x = a in this equation?

The value of x = a represents the point at which we are evaluating the function. In other words, we are finding the limit of the function as it approaches the value of a.

3. Why is it necessary for f to be differentiable at x = a?

In order for the limit to exist, the function must be continuous at x = a. This means that the value of the function at x = a must be defined and the function must approach a single value as x approaches a from both sides. Differentiability is a stronger condition than continuity and ensures that the function has a well-defined tangent line at x = a.

4. How does the value of h affect the limit?

The value of h represents the distance between the points (a+2h) and (a+3h). As h approaches 0, the points get closer together and the slope of the tangent line at x = a becomes more accurate. In other words, the smaller the value of h, the closer our approximation of the limit will be to the true value.

5. What does the limit represent in this context?

The limit in this context represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function f at x = a. It is also known as the derivative of the function at x = a.