Neutral axis for 3 different cantilever beams

In summary, the conversation is discussing a simulation on three different cantilever beams with varying dimensions. The topic of the neutral axis is also brought up and it is determined that it applies to a specific cross sectional area of the beam. The neutral axis is defined as the axis perpendicular to the long dotted line shown in the figures, passing through the centroid of the cross section being investigated.
kevin_obl
1. Hi all, I'm doing a simulation on 3 different cantilever beam as shown in the attached figure. a) is the beam with only width varying from the base to the free end (height stay constant along the beam) , b) is the beam height varying from the base to the free end (width stay constant along the beam) , and finally c) both height and width are varying from the base to the free end.

I do some research and found out that the the neutral axis should pass through the centroid of the cross section if the examined structure is symmetric.

Therefore, I assume that the Dotted Lines shows in the attached figure are my neutral axis for those structure. Can someone tell me that is my assumption correct or wrong?

thank you very much. Sorry for my english!

11qlhdl.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The neutral axis applies to a given cross sectional area of the beam. You should be clear ( and you might be) that the neutral axis as shown in your figures for the given load case is the axis perpendicular to the long dotted line you have shown, passing through the centroid of that cross section which you wish to investigate.

1. What is the neutral axis for a cantilever beam?

The neutral axis for a cantilever beam is an imaginary line that passes through the centroid of the cross section and divides the beam into two equal sections. It is the axis where there is no tension or compression occurring in the beam.

2. How is the neutral axis determined for a cantilever beam?

The neutral axis is determined by calculating the centroid of the cross section of the beam. This is done by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of all the points on the cross section. The neutral axis then passes through this centroid point.

3. Does the shape of the cross section affect the location of the neutral axis?

Yes, the shape of the cross section does affect the location of the neutral axis. The neutral axis will always pass through the centroid of the cross section, but the centroid may be in a different location depending on the shape of the cross section.

4. How does the location of the neutral axis affect the bending of a cantilever beam?

The location of the neutral axis is crucial in determining the bending behavior of a cantilever beam. If the neutral axis is closer to the top of the beam, it will experience more compression, while if it is closer to the bottom, it will experience more tension. This affects the overall strength and stability of the beam.

5. Can the neutral axis change during the loading of a cantilever beam?

Yes, the neutral axis can change during the loading of a cantilever beam. As the beam experiences bending, the location of the neutral axis may shift slightly, but it will always pass through the centroid of the cross section. Additionally, if the beam is loaded beyond its limit, the neutral axis may shift to a different location altogether.