Solve explicitly integer solution

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation relating p,q,r,s to each other. However, they are unable to find a solution in which any of the numbers are equal to 1. They are told that a solution exists in which p is not equal to 2.
annoymage

Homework Statement

find p,q,r,s integer solution

[tex]\frac{1}{p^2}+\frac{1}{q^2}+\frac{1}{r^2}+\frac{1}{s^2}=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

here some alternate form you can see

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1/p^2%2B1/q^2%2B1/r^2%2B1/s^2%3D1

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know if this works,

so i guess i have to show that [tex]p=q=r=s[/tex],

so now i only got this [tex]p|(qrs)^2\ \ ,\ q|(prs)^2\ \ ,\ r|(pqs)^2\ \ ,\ s|(pqr)^2[/tex], but i don't even know how to show [tex]p|q[/tex]

help T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
You should just do a size comparison

One side is: Can any of p, q r or s be equal to 1?

And then the flip side: What happens if p is a large integer (how are the possible sizes for q, r and s restricted)

Office_Shredder said:
One side is: Can any of p, q r or s be equal to 1?

it can't, i'll show to you to check my proof of this later

Office_Shredder said:
And then the flip side: What happens if p is a large integer (how are the possible sizes for q, r and s restricted)

hmm, do you mean p>2??

if yes, i only get [tex]\frac{1}{q^2}+\frac{1}{r^2}+\frac{1}{s^2} < \frac{1}{2}[/tex] how to get restriction on p,q,r?

If p>2, you should get the inequality [tex]\frac{1}{q^2}+\frac{1}{r^2}+\frac{1}{s^2}>\frac{3}{4}[/tex]

yeaa that's true, maybe i don't understand the flip flip side thing. very sleepy, i'll try understand it tomorrow. anyway, what should i do next?

assume some more what happen if q>2 ??

Well, if none of q,r and s are 1, what's the largest [tex] \frac{1}{q^2} + \frac{1}{r^2}+\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex] can be?

sorry i still don't get it

hmm, i guess there's nothing to do with post 3 and 4,

this is what i understand p,q,r,s can't be 1

if p>1 then largest [tex] \frac{1}{q^2} + \frac{1}{r^2}+\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex] is 3/4

then? ;P

Use what's in post number 4 (which you should work on solving for: why don't you post your attempt at it?)

aahhh, maybe i see now,

so p=q=r=s=2 is a solution.

so that we goin through is showing that p not equal 2 in Z+ is not a solution.

also i have to repeat for q,r and s right?

If there is a solution for which q (or r or s) is not equal to 2, you should be able to prove in a line or two that a solution exists for which p is not equal to 2 (which gives a contradiction of course)

1. What is an explicit integer solution?

An explicit integer solution is a set of values for the variables in a mathematical equation or problem that results in a solution that is a whole number, or integer. This means that there are no fractions, decimals, or irrational numbers in the solution.

2. How is an explicit integer solution different from an implicit integer solution?

An explicit integer solution is one that is stated or written out in a clear and precise manner, while an implicit integer solution is one that is implied or understood without being explicitly stated. In other words, an explicit integer solution is directly given, while an implicit integer solution may require some interpretation or manipulation to uncover.

3. What types of problems can be solved using explicit integer solutions?

Explicit integer solutions can be used to solve a wide range of mathematical problems, including equations, systems of equations, inequalities, and optimization problems. These solutions are especially helpful when dealing with real-world applications, as they provide a concrete and whole number answer.

4. How do you find an explicit integer solution?

Finding an explicit integer solution typically involves using algebraic methods to manipulate and solve equations or problems. This may include techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. It may also involve using logic and reasoning to determine the most appropriate values for the variables in the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to using explicit integer solutions?

One limitation of using explicit integer solutions is that they may not always be feasible or practical in real-world situations. Some problems may have constraints or conditions that make it impossible to find an explicit integer solution, or the solution may be too large or small to be useful. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other methods or approaches to find a solution.