Electric Potentials: concentric spheres

In summary, the problem involves two concentric spheres with opposite charges. The question asks for the amount of energy stored in the system, which can be found using the formula V = U/q. The class has discussed the capacitance of a spherical capacitor, which can be used to find the energy stored. However, the formula may need to be derived, which the student is struggling with. They have attempted to solve the problem and received different answers, causing confusion.
vsage
Two concentric spheres of radii 1.65 cm and 19.0 cm, respectively, are given equal but opposite charges of 6.35e-08 C. How much energy is stored in the system (in J)?

I know V = U/q where U would be the entire energy stored in the system beacuse it's not in motion. I know q's but I just don't know how to apply it.

I've thought about this so much. I tried setting up a ridiculous integral for solving this but it just went way over my head. The question doesn't really even make sense because wouldn't some of the charges overlap each other? I think the teacher meant hollow spheres. A little point in the right direction, please. (Test tomorrow) :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is about spherical shells.

I'm curious - has your class discussed the capacitance of a spherical capacitor? If so then you may already have a formula for finding the energy stored. If not, nevermind! :-)

Yes the teacher touched on it for the last half of a lecture I think but it wasn't much more than parallel plates (a lecture is 2.5 hours though so that's a lot of time). Oh yeah I see it may be addressed in the chapter he touched on. Thanks tide I'll see if I can't work something out from this.

Ah, found it.

the potential difference between the spheres

q/(4*pi*enot) * (outer radius - inner radius) / (outer radius * inner radius)

I wish I had enough time to derive this formula but I'm in a crunch :\

My grasp of this subject is worse than I'd like it to be but since dV = dU/q ,
the total energy is dV * q? Am I correct?

Edit: The computer that checks my answers says I was wrong.. I got 4.98e11 joules

Last edited by a moderator:
Can my answer be confirmed? The computer keeps telling me I'm wrong argh. Ok now I'm getting 2e-03 joules which I know has to be wrong as well. This is so confusing sigh. Edit ok here my work:

C = q^2 / U

C = 4*pi*enot * (Ro * Ri) / (Ro - Ri)

where enot is 8.85e-12 and Ro is the outer radius and Ri is the inner radius

C = (6.35e-08)^2 / U = 2.01e-12

U = (6.35e-08)^2 / 2.01e-12

= 2.01e-03

:\

Last edited by a moderator:

What are electric potentials?

Electric potentials refer to the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is a measure of the work required to move a charge from one point to another in the electric field.

How are electric potentials calculated?

The electric potential at a point is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at that point. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field strength over a given distance.

What are concentric spheres?

Concentric spheres are two or more spheres that share the same center point. In the context of electric potentials, they refer to a system of two or more spherical conductors with different radii that share the same center point.

How do electric potentials differ between concentric spheres?

In a system of concentric spheres, the electric potential decreases as the distance from the center increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, and the electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field strength.

What are the applications of concentric spheres in electric potential studies?

Concentric spheres are commonly used in experiments and calculations involving electric potentials. They can be used to model systems such as charged particles, capacitors, and electric circuits. They are also used in the study of electrostatics and electromagnetism.