Stuck trying to integrate a differential equation using substitution v=y/x

In summary, substitution is used in integrating differential equations to simplify the integration process by replacing a complicated expression with a simpler one. The choice of substitution depends on the form of the equation, and it is important to choose one that simplifies the equation or removes variables with powers greater than 1. If the first substitution does not work, it is recommended to try different ones or combinations of substitutions and to check for any errors in calculations. Only valid and legal substitutions that preserve the variables and their relationship in the original equation can be used. To effectively use substitution, careful selection and checking for mistakes are necessary, and practicing with different types of differential equations can be helpful.
dooogle

Homework Statement

dy/dx=a^2/(x+y)^2

where a is a constant

need the answer in the form

x=f(y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

multiplying out (x+y)^2

gives dy/dx=a^2/(x^2+2xy+y^2)

setting u=y/x dy/dx can be rewritten as

dy/dx=a^2/((x^2)*(u+1)^2)

=a^2/x^2(u+1)^2

this is my question can i then use the chain rule to find du/dx where du/dx=(dy/dx)*(dx/du)

where dy/dx=a^2/((x^2)*(u+1)^2)

and dx/du=-y/(u^2)

found by differentiating x=y/u

this would give dx/du= -y*(a^2)/((x^2)*(u^2)*((u+1)^2))

thank you for your time dooogle

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear dooogle,

Thank you for your question regarding the problem dy/dx=a^2/(x+y)^2. In order to find the answer in the form x=f(y), we can use the substitution method. We can let u=x+y, which means that x=u-y. Then, using the chain rule, we can rewrite the equation as:

dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx

Substituting u=x+y, we get:

dy/dx = dy/du * (1+dy/du)

Rearranging this equation, we get:

dy/du = dy/dx / (1+dy/dx)

Using the given equation dy/dx=a^2/(x+y)^2, we get:

dy/du = a^2 / (u^2)

Integrating both sides with respect to u, we get:

y = -a^2/u + C

Substituting u=x+y, we get:

y = -a^2/(x+y) + C

Rearranging this equation, we get:

x = -a^2/(y-C) - y

Therefore, the answer in the form x=f(y) is:

x = -a^2/(y-C) - y

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of using substitution in integrating a differential equation?

Substitution is used to simplify the integration process by replacing a complicated expression with a simpler one. This allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the integral.

2. How do I know which substitution to use?

The choice of substitution depends on the form of the differential equation. Generally, you want to choose a substitution that simplifies the equation or removes any variables with a power greater than 1. It may also be helpful to try different substitutions until one works.

3. What should I do if my substitution does not work?

If your first substitution does not work, try a different one or a combination of substitutions. It is also important to check for any mistakes or errors in your calculations.

4. Can I use any substitution in integrating a differential equation?

No, the substitution must be a valid and legal substitution that preserves the variables and their relationship in the original equation. It must also result in a simpler equation that is easier to integrate.

5. Are there any tips for using substitution in integrating differential equations?

It is important to carefully choose your substitution and to check your work for any mistakes. It may also be helpful to practice with different types of differential equations to become more familiar with the process.