I choosing the right potentiator for limiting volume

• Thread starter GoldenMole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the device needs a way to limit the volume so that it does not cause ear damage, and a potentiometer may be the best way to do this.
GoldenMole
I am currently making a device which connects two http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2847/.f?sc=11&category=12" to an mp3 player. The device is associated with babies and I need to ensure that the volume is unable to get too loud. Having the volume limited would prevent ear damage, regardless of what volume setting the mp3 player is set to. I was wondering if a potentiator is the best way to adjustably limit the volume, and if so, what specifications would work for this kind of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
any variation of the MP3 player volume is still going to result in a change of volume in the speakers even with a potentiometer (variable resistor) volume control in between
ie if the MP3 player level increases then the pot level will need to be manually decreased correspondingly to maintain the required output level from the speakers.

To maintain a constant output to the speakers regardless of the input level to the controller cct. You would require some sort of active cct, along the lines of an AGC Automatic Gain Control system

PLEASE tell me you are NOT going to put head (ear) phones on a baby ?!
dont even consider that unless you want to cause permanent hearing loss to the child at a very young age

Dave

hahaha no I'm not making headphones for a baby.

I see what you are saying about how the volume is ultimately dependent on the device producing the audio signal... Could an AGC be powered by the mp3 player? If so, would it have a pretty significant draw on the batteries?

GoldenMole said:
hahaha no I'm not making headphones for a baby.

I see what you are saying about how the volume is ultimately dependent on the device producing the audio signal... Could an AGC be powered by the mp3 player? If so, would it have a pretty significant draw on the batteries?

Thats good to hear :) haha

would be difficult to power it from the MP3 player directly, more likely you could power it from whatever you supply the MP3 player with ... it its a long term arangement

hmmmm I think that I am going to go the route of using a pot, and calibrating the resistance to the most common mp3 players, since most mp3 players have roughly the same output levels anyways.

Do you have any ideas for what type of pot I should use? Or how I could go about calculating this?

1. What is a potentiator?

A potentiator is a substance or compound that enhances the effects of another substance, often by increasing its potency or activity.

2. How do potentiators work to limit volume?

Potentiators work by interacting with certain receptors or enzymes in the body to amplify the effects of a substance. In the context of limiting volume, a potentiator can help reduce the amount of a substance needed to achieve a desired effect.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a potentiator for limiting volume?

When choosing a potentiator for limiting volume, it is important to consider the potency and safety of the potentiator, as well as its compatibility with the substance being used and any potential interactions with other medications or substances.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects associated with using potentiators to limit volume?

As with any substance, there is always a potential for risks or side effects when using potentiators to limit volume. It is important to carefully research and consult with a healthcare professional before using potentiators to ensure they are being used safely and effectively.

5. Are there natural options for potentiators that can help limit volume?

Yes, there are natural options for potentiators that can help limit volume. Some examples include certain herbs, supplements, or foods that have been shown to enhance the effects of certain substances. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using these natural options to ensure they are safe and appropriate for your specific needs.

Back