Electrical Engineering vs Engineering Physics

In summary, you are currently deciding between switching to Engineering Physics or staying in Electrical Engineering. You are more interested in the engineering aspects of nanotechnology and biotechnology and are considering graduate school in Electrical Engineering or SUNY Albany's Nanoengineering program. You are seeking advice on which program will best prepare you for your desired career path.
xicor
Hello, I'm at the stage of deciding to switch to Engineering Physics or stay in Electrical Engineering.

I'm currently a Sophomore Electrical Engineer major that just transferred to University this semester. I was originally a Physics major at the community college but switched eventually to Engineering Science since I though that Electrical Engineering was more specific to my interests and give me more exciting courses. Of course it didn't help that at the community college there wasn't a single physics major and I was surrounded by a department that was mainly focused on engineering. What I'm learning right now is that I'm not really interested in the method based problem solving that the engineering courses have so far demonstrated and have a total dis-interest in the design teams and the way they tackle the problems. I don't really find anything I could do in my current degree to be something I would do naturally or be exciting. The Physics department of the University has an Engineering Physics option however which would seem like an option if my dislike of traditional engineering develops further. Right now a lot of the course material is new to me but I don't see myself advancing further with it and applying it in design projects. I would say that the physics courses I had to take at the community college were much more intriguting then what I'm currently studying. I would say that I'm mostly interested in engineering that actually changes the world and wouldn't say general jobs in electrical engineering is my ultimate goal. I'm going to let the feelings settle until I make a final decision in the middle of March.

The problem comes from my motivation which is manipulating and exploiting the way nature works at the smallest of scales in order for the creation of more multifunctional systems that indirectly or directly affect the advancement of biomedical and neurotechnology. I would say that I'm greatly interested in nanotechnology and had an internship last summer at SUNY Albany's Nanotechnology Center(CNSE) on testing neural silicon implants on hydrogel constructs which are suppose to mimic neural tissue. The experience was fastinating and gave me a greater interest in microbiology and material science.

However because of my motivation I'm still mainly interested in nanotechnology at the device and system level which includes Microfabricated devices, Solid State Electronics, Micro/Nanosystems, and Bio-devices. These technologies I ususally associate with electrical and mechanical engineering. Because of this my plan is to go to graduate school in Electrical Engineering or SUNY Albany's Nanoengineering program and get a job in more the R&D type functions or get a job in a nanotech start-up company. Can I only achieve this by majoring in Electrical Engineering as an undergraduate and have to deal with every aspect I find myself being totally negative about or could I do something similar to what I want to do with an Engineering Physics BS. The Engineering Physics option is said to train students to have the engineering knowledge to develop unique devices and systems. The Engineering Physics degree could also open possibilities I’m not considering right now, the Electrical Engineering degree is just limiting me right now to those specific subjects I’m interested in. I know I could get into SUNY Albany's degree program but I'm unsure about the traditional engineering degrees which would do research in those areas. The decision isn't obvious to me at the moment so I would like some opinions and advise before I make a final choice.

Tell me if I need to give anymore information and thanks for the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a very clear idea of the kind of engineering work you are interested in and the type of career path you would like to pursue. It is important to carefully consider both the Electrical Engineering and Engineering Physics programs at your university and weigh the pros and cons of each. It is also important to think about the types of courses and research opportunities available to you in each program and how each program can help you reach your goals. Additionally, you should make sure that the program you choose is accredited and has the ability to prepare you for the job market. Finally, you should consider the faculty and resources available in each program and determine which one offers the best fit for your interests and goals.

What is the difference between electrical engineering and engineering physics?

Electrical engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems, while engineering physics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from physics and engineering to solve complex problems.

Can an electrical engineer work as an engineering physicist and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both fields, they are distinct disciplines with different focuses. An electrical engineer may have a background in engineering physics, but they would need additional training and experience to work as an engineering physicist, and vice versa.

What kind of job opportunities are available for electrical engineers and engineering physicists?

Electrical engineers can find employment in a variety of industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics. Engineering physicists can work in fields such as optics, materials science, and renewable energy. Both fields offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries.

Is a degree in electrical engineering or engineering physics more beneficial for a career in research?

Both degrees can lead to a career in research, but the specific field of research may vary. A degree in electrical engineering may be more beneficial for research in areas such as power systems or electronics, while a degree in engineering physics may be more beneficial for research in areas such as nanotechnology or quantum mechanics.

How do the coursework and curriculum differ between electrical engineering and engineering physics programs?

While both programs may have some overlap in courses, the curriculum for electrical engineering will focus more on courses related to circuits, electronics, and power systems. Engineering physics programs will have a broader range of courses, including physics, math, and engineering courses, with a focus on applying these principles to solve complex problems.