Solving Path of Particle Subject to Central Force

In summary: Sqrt[k]/b * c. This simplifies to: E*r = \frac{1}{2}m(v_0^2 + rt) + c_3 where c_3 = c_2 - kln(r). Now, using the relation between the radial and angular coordinates, I can write: E*r = \frac{1}{2}m(v_0^2 + rt) + c_3 = \frac{1}{2}m(v_0^2 + rt) + c_3 = \frac{1}{2}m(v_0^2 + rt
prismaticcore

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves from infinity along a straight line that, if
continued, would allow it to pass a distance b/Sqrt[2} from a point P . If the particle is
attracted toward P with a force which is: [tex]\frac{-k}{mr^5}[/tex] radially inwards. If the angular momentum is Sqrt[k]/b, show that the trajectory is given by r=b*coth(theta/Sqrt[2]).

Homework Equations

Angular momentum conservation
Energy conservation
Equation theta in terms of an integral over r

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a central force, angular momentum is conserved, so that I can find the velocity when the mass is a distance bSqrt[2] from point P. I will also need the total energy, having these two, I can plug it into the equation for theta in terms of an integral over r. The total energy is just the initial kinetic energy, however the velocity we use there must be different from the velocity of the mass when it's a distance bSqrt[2] away, right? In other words, I picture that the mass has a nonconstant velocity along the line from infinity to bSqrt[2] away from P. Is there something wrong with this reasoning? the particle is subject to a central force, with components of the force along its velocity, so it has to experience an acceleration. Why does the solution say we can just plug in v of the mass when it's a distance bSqrt[2] away as if it were the initial velocity when the particle is at infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is a central force, angular momentum is conserved, so that I can find the velocity when the mass is a distance bSqrt[2] from point P. I will also need the total energy, having these two, I can plug it into the equation for theta in terms of an integral over r. The total energy is just the initial kinetic energy plus the potential energy, however the velocity we use there must be different from the velocity of the mass when it's a distance bSqrt[2] away, right? In other words, I picture that the mass has a nonconstant velocity along the line from infinity to bSqrt[2] away from P. So that the velocity at infinity is v_0, and I can use the conservation of energy to find the velocity when the mass is a distance b/Sqrt[2] away, v_1 , as: v_1^2 = v_0^2 + 2k/mrThen I can use the conservation of angular momentum to find the relation between the radial coordinate and the angular coordinate, which is given by: Sqrt[k]/b = mr^2*dtheta/dt Integrating both sides with respect to time, I get: theta = Sqrt[k]/b * t + c where c is an integration constant which can be determined by the initial conditions. Now I can use the conservation of energy to relate the radial coordinate to the angular coordinate. To do this, I first write the energy equation as: E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 - \frac{k}{mr} Integrating both sides with respect to the radial coordinate, I get: E*r = \frac{1}{2}mv^2r - kln(r) + c_1 where c_1 is another integration constant. Now, substituting the expression for the angular coordinate, I get: E*r = \frac{1}{2}mv_0^2r + \frac{1}{2

1. What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object in such a way that the force vector always points towards a fixed point in space, called the center of force. Examples of central forces include gravity, electric forces, and magnetic forces.

2. How do you solve for the path of a particle subject to a central force?

To solve for the path of a particle subject to a central force, you can use the equations of motion derived from Newton's laws of motion. These equations take into account the mass of the particle, the magnitude and direction of the central force, and the initial position and velocity of the particle.

3. What is the role of angular momentum in solving for the path of a particle under a central force?

Angular momentum is a conserved quantity in a central force system. This means that as the particle moves along its path, its angular momentum remains constant. This can be used to simplify the equations of motion and make solving for the path of the particle easier.

4. How does the strength of the central force affect the path of the particle?

The strength of the central force directly affects the curvature of the path of the particle. A stronger central force will result in a more curved path, while a weaker central force will result in a less curved path. In extreme cases, such as a very strong central force, the particle may even follow a closed orbit around the center of force.

5. Can the path of a particle subject to a central force ever be a straight line?

Yes, the path of a particle subject to a central force can be a straight line in some cases. This occurs when the central force is zero, meaning there is no force acting on the particle, and it continues to move in a straight line with constant velocity. This can also occur if the particle has enough initial angular momentum to cancel out the central force, resulting in a straight line path.