Max Normal Stress of Beam: 1.879N | Modulus of Elasticity 100Gp

In summary, the maximum normal stress in the beam is 187.7 N/m^2 and it is located at a distance from the neutral axis equal to the furthest point on the beam. This stress is a result of both the normal force and bending moment, requiring a combined equation to calculate it. The dimensions of the beam are 1m long, 0.2m high, and 0.05m wide, which forms a shape that can be used to find the moment of inertia (I) in the combined equation. The value of 'y' is equal to the distance from the neutral axis to the furthest point on the beam.
pirateman99

Homework Statement

What is the maximum normal stress in the beam and where is it located? The beam is 1m long, 0.2m high, and 0.05m thick (out of the page). The Modulus of Elasticity is 100Gp. The force is applied at an angle of 20 degrees with horizontal.

|
|____________
| |- - - - -- - (Imaginary horizontal)
|____________| -- 20deg
| --
--
F= 2N

(the picture is kind of messed up but just imagine a force being applied 20 degrees downward of the horizontal out of the end of the beam, so pretty much straight out of the end of the beam but at a slight angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that it is 1.879N in x direction and .684N in y direction and that sigx is 187.7 N/m^2

Everywhere I see makes it look like i use equation My/I but I do not know how to calculated y or I and I do not know how any of that plays into this.

Any help would be awesome

Thanks.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
pirateman99 said:

I calculated that it is 1.879N in x direction and .684N in y direction and that sigx is 187.7 N/m^2

Good so you have the components of the force. One produces a normal stress which you've found. The vertical component produces a bending stress.

pirateman99 said:
Everywhere I see makes it look like i use equation My/I but I do not know how to calculated y or I and I do not know how any of that plays into this.

Any help would be awesome

Thanks.

You said the dimensions of the beam are 1 m long, 0.2 m high and 0.05 m wide, so if you look at the beam from the front, the dimensions are just 0.2 m x 0.05 m. So what shape does that form? (You can look up I for that section).

'y' is just the distance from the neutral axis. Since the shape is a simple shape, the neutral axis coincides with the centroidal axis. So the maximum value for 'y' would be from the neutral axis to the furthest point. (What distance is this?)

I think you should know how to calculate M, the bending moment.

rock.freak667: Perhaps what you need to know, and it's not obvious is that normal stresses arise from both normal forces, and from bending moments. So you need a combined normal stress equation.

pongo38 said:
rock.freak667: Perhaps what you need to know, and it's not obvious is that normal stresses arise from both normal forces, and from bending moments. So you need a combined normal stress equation.

Yes, but I did not tell the OP how to combine it, I assumed they'd have the formula to do so since they have the formula for bending.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the given information and the variables involved. The maximum normal stress of the beam is 1.879N and the modulus of elasticity is 100Gp. The beam is 1m long, 0.2m high, and 0.05m thick and the force is applied at a 20 degree angle with the horizontal.

To find the location of the maximum normal stress, we need to understand the concept of bending stress in beams. Bending stress is the stress induced in a beam due to the applied load causing the beam to bend. The maximum bending stress occurs at the point farthest from the neutral axis of the beam, which in this case is at the top or bottom of the beam.

To calculate the maximum normal stress, we can use the formula for bending stress in a rectangular beam:

σmax = My/I

Where σmax is the maximum normal stress, M is the moment of the applied force, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-sectional area of the beam.

To find the moment of the applied force, we can use the formula:

M = F * d * cosθ

Where F is the applied force, d is the distance from the point of application to the neutral axis, and θ is the angle between the applied force and the horizontal.

In this case, F = 2N, d = 0.2m, and θ = 20 degrees. Plugging these values into the formula, we get M = 0.4N*m.

Next, we need to calculate the moment of inertia of the cross-sectional area of the beam. For a rectangular beam, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula:

I = (1/12) * b * h^3

Where b is the width of the beam and h is the height of the beam.

In this case, b = 0.05m and h = 0.2m. Plugging these values into the formula, we get I = 4.1667 * 10^-6 m^4.

Now, we can plug all of these values into the formula for maximum bending stress:

σmax = (0.4 N*m) * (0.2m) / (4.1667 * 10^-6 m^4)

= 1.

1. What is the maximum normal stress of the beam?

The maximum normal stress of the beam is 1.879N.

2. What is the modulus of elasticity of the beam?

The modulus of elasticity of the beam is 100Gp.

3. How is the maximum normal stress of the beam determined?

The maximum normal stress of the beam is determined by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the beam.

4. What is the significance of the modulus of elasticity in relation to the beam's strength?

The modulus of elasticity is a measure of the stiffness of a material. In relation to the beam's strength, a higher modulus of elasticity indicates a stronger and stiffer material, meaning it can withstand higher stresses without deforming.

5. How can the maximum normal stress and modulus of elasticity be used in engineering applications?

The maximum normal stress and modulus of elasticity are important parameters in designing and analyzing structures and materials. They can be used to determine the structural integrity and potential failure points of a beam, and to ensure that the material used is suitable for the intended application.