Work: Emptying a 2x1x1 box of water.

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of work required to empty a 2x1x1 ft box of water, assuming a density of 62.5 lb/ft3. The method used involves considering small slices of water and finding the small amount of work, then summing up over the entire volume of water. The formula used is 62.5\int_0^1 2xdx=125\left[ \frac{x^2}{2} \right]_0^1=62.5. The speaker also advises against memorizing formulas and suggests understanding the concept of the integral as an infinite sum of infinitesimals.
TylerH

Homework Statement

How much work is required to empty a 2x1x1 ft box of water? Assume density of water is 62.5 lb/ft3.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_a^b A(x)xdx[/tex]
[tex]A(x)=lw=2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]62.5\int_0^1 2xdx=125\left[ \frac{x^2}{2} \right]_0^1=62.5[/tex]

Did I get it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good to me. Although if I were to give advice, I would say don't try to memorize those kinds of formulas. Instead, try to remember a method for setting these types of problems up. Usually this involves some form of considering a small "slice" of water of width [itex]\Delta x [/itex] and finding the small amount of work [itex] \Delta W [/itex] and then summing up over the entire volume of the water.
this method might seem tedious for simple problems, but it might give you a better understanding of what is really going on here.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The whole point of covering work is to solidify the concept of the integral being an infinite sum of infinitesimals. I didn't show or explain my derivation, but I didn't memorise the formula, as it appears.

I was just wondering, because this was a question on a test and I was beginning to believe I missed it. I'll see for sure tomorrow (Monday).

1. How long does it take to empty a 2x1x1 box of water?

The time it takes to empty a 2x1x1 box of water will depend on several factors such as the size of the opening, the force used to empty the box, and the viscosity of the water. With a standard opening and moderate force, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

2. How much force is needed to empty a 2x1x1 box of water?

The amount of force needed to empty a 2x1x1 box of water will also vary depending on the factors mentioned above. Generally, a moderate amount of force is needed to create enough pressure to push the water out of the box.

3. Will the water empty out evenly from the box?

No, the water will not empty out evenly from the box. Due to gravity, the water will flow out of the box more quickly from the bottom than the top. This is why it is important to tilt the box or create an opening at the bottom to allow for a smoother and more even flow.

4. What is the best way to empty a 2x1x1 box of water?

The best way to empty a 2x1x1 box of water is to create an opening at the bottom of the box and tilt it to allow for a continuous and even flow of water. This can be done by using a funnel or drilling a small hole at the bottom of the box.

5. Why is it important to empty the box of water?

Emptying the box of water is important for various reasons. It allows for the box to be reused for other purposes, prevents the water from stagnating and potentially causing mold or bacteria growth, and ensures that the box is not carrying any excess weight that may cause damage or instability.