How does charge pass through a capacitor in a radio tuner

In summary, the simplest tuner is a series connection of a capacitor and inductor, and radio waves use AC current to send signals. Capacitors block DC current, while an inductor without an iron core experiences an opposing magnetic force, allowing for electrical resonance via AC current. However, it may be difficult to visualize how AC current passes through a fully charged capacitor. The term "pass through" does not mean that charges move directly from one plate to the other, but rather that they are pulled and pushed within the inductor. This may be confusing because capacitors are typically thought of as storing voltage, but in reality, the charge moves through the wires and external circuit when a capacitor is charged with a battery.
Strangeline
I understand that the simplest tuner you can have is a capacitor and inductor connected in series, and i understand that radio waves use AC current to send signals, and that capacitors block DC current. I think i also understand that an inductor even without an iron core experiences an opposing magnetic force (?) thus clearing the way for electrical resonance via AC current.

but I am having a hard time visualizing how AC current is passed through a fully charged capacitor. Does the term really mean charges pass through or just that it pulls and pushes the charges already inside the inductor. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but after doing some searching of my own, i came across this confusing writing:

Since the charging of a capacitor can be thought of as moving charge from one plate DIRECTLY onto the other plate through a potential difference of V, the voltage between the capacitor plates.

because i though a capacitor only stored voltage. I did not know electrons could jump from one plate to the other, because that does not make sense to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Strangeline said:
Since the charging of a capacitor can be thought of as moving charge from one plate DIRECTLY onto the other plate through a potential difference of V, the voltage between the capacitor plates.

they don't mean that the charge goes directly from one plate to the other. If you charge a capacitor with a battery, the charge goes from one plate, through the wires and the battery to the other plate.

1. How does a capacitor work in a radio tuner?

A capacitor in a radio tuner acts as a temporary storage unit for electrical charge. When a radio signal is received, the capacitor stores the charge and releases it at a steady rate to the rest of the circuit, allowing the tuner to process the signal and produce sound.

2. What role does the charge play in passing through a capacitor in a radio tuner?

The charge, or electrical energy, moves through the capacitor by accumulating on the plates of the capacitor. As the plates store more charge, the capacitor becomes more charged and can release the energy when needed.

3. What determines the amount of charge that can pass through a capacitor in a radio tuner?

The size of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of material used in the capacitor all play a role in determining the amount of charge that can pass through a capacitor in a radio tuner. A larger capacitor with closer plates and a higher dielectric constant will allow for more charge to pass through.

4. Can a capacitor in a radio tuner become overcharged?

Yes, a capacitor can become overcharged if it receives too much charge or if the charge is not being released properly. This can cause damage to the capacitor and the circuit in the tuner, resulting in malfunction or failure.

5. How does the charge passing through a capacitor affect the overall performance of a radio tuner?

The charge passing through a capacitor is crucial for the proper functioning of a radio tuner. Without the capacitor, the electrical signal would be too weak to produce sound. The capacitor helps to boost the signal and maintain a steady flow of energy, resulting in clear and consistent radio reception.