How long will my battery last?

• Thread starter Jennifer2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the two camcorders have different power supplies and consumption rates, but should roughly require the same amount of power. A portable powerpack with a capacity of 1000VA / 500W and a battery capacity of 12V / 9Ah x 1pc can keep the camcorders running for approximately 14.6 hours before running out of power. However, it is important to use an adapter or converter to avoid damaging the equipment. It is also more efficient to bypass the built-in converter and go straight from 12V to 7.4V.
Jennifer2010
Hey guys!

I have two camcorders.

Cam #1: Power Supply: DC 7.2V (battery)
Power Consumption: 7.4W

Cam #2: Power Supply: DC 7.4V (battery)
Power Consumption: Doesn't say :( - but should be the same roughly.

How long can a "portable powerpack" with the following specs keep these camcorders running before running out of power?:

Capacity: 1000VA / 500W
Output:
Nominal Voltage: 120V / 230V
Battery Capacity: 12V / 9Ah x 1pc (think it says 1pc cause it's a UPC for computers?)

Could someone please let me know the math on how to figure this out myself for future equations, too?

Thanks so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi.

The potential difference/voltage between the battery poles tells you how much energy (in Joules) is available per unit of charge (1 As). Short: Higher voltage means a single charge carrier can do more work for you.

A charge capacity of 9 Ah tells you, that the battery can drive a current of 9 A for an hour, or:
that it stores 9 A * 3600 s = 32400 As of charge. A unit of charge can do 12 J of work (12 V = 12 J/As) and you have 32400 units of charge. Consequently you have 12 V * 32400 As = 388800 J available.

Your camera consumes 7,4 W = 7,4 J/s on average. Which tells you that it should run for 388800 J * s / 7,4 J =52541 s = 14,6 h. Which is a lot, but then again you have a very big battery - capacity is on par with a car battery.

I do not understand these two lines though:
Capacity: 1000VA / 500W
Nominal Voltage: 120V / 230V
I am guessing that your 12V battery has a built in 12 V DC to 120 V or (switch) 230 V AC converter - since you said it is a PC reserve unit. So the second line represents possible output voltages and the first one maximum power output respectively (1000 W at 120 V and 500 W at 230 V). Be sure to use an adapter/converter (120 V to 7,4 V or 230 V to 7,4 V) or you will roast your equipment.

It would also be better (more efficient) to bypass the built-in converter and go straight from 12 V to 7,4 V, because converters are not perfect and each one degrades battery efficiency (battery time).

1. How long will my battery last on a full charge?

The lifespan of a battery can vary depending on the type and usage of the device. Generally, a fully charged battery can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

2. What factors affect the lifespan of a battery?

The lifespan of a battery can be affected by several factors, such as the type of battery, the age of the battery, the usage pattern, and the environment in which the battery is used.

3. Can I extend the lifespan of my battery?

Yes, there are a few things you can do to extend the lifespan of your battery. These include avoiding extreme temperatures, not overcharging or completely draining the battery, and using the device in power-saving mode.

4. How often should I replace my battery?

The frequency of battery replacement depends on the type of battery and the usage of the device. For rechargeable batteries, it is recommended to replace them every 2-3 years. Non-rechargeable batteries may need to be replaced more frequently.

5. How can I tell when my battery needs to be replaced?

If your device is not holding a charge as long as it used to or if it is taking longer to charge, these may be signs that your battery needs to be replaced. Additionally, some devices have a battery health indicator that can give you an idea of when to replace the battery.