Index of Refraction: Solving a Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the setup and representation of a scratch in a microscope. The confusion arises from whether the light is bouncing off the scratch or going through and out the other side of the plate. The conversation also includes a professor's instructions and the individual's own guess about the situation.
Shackleford
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the light bouncing off the scratch and entering the microscope?

Is the light going through the scratch and out the other side of the plate and then into the microscope?

??

Shackleford said:
Is the light bouncing off the scratch and entering the microscope?

Is the light going through the scratch and out the other side of the plate and then into the microscope?

??

Seems like you are looking at the scratch directly in one case, and the reflection of the scratch formed by the back surface the next time, perhaps

Why was this moved? This is part of the review in my junior-level Modern Optics class.

The professor said,

"Assume light will come up from bottom and you can represent the scratch by a point on the surface."

This is my guess as to what's happening. I'm sure it's wrong.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110830_185731.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110830_185720.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction (or refractive index) is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol n.

2. How is the index of refraction calculated?

The index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material. This can be expressed as n = c/v, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum and v is the speed of light in the material.

3. What is Snell's law and how is it used to solve problems involving the index of refraction?

Snell's law is a formula that relates the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through a boundary between two materials with different refractive indices. It states that n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two materials and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. This law can be used to calculate the unknown variables in problems involving the index of refraction.

4. How does the index of refraction affect the behavior of light?

The index of refraction determines how light is bent or refracted when it passes through a material. The higher the refractive index, the more the light is bent and the slower it travels through the material. This can have various effects, such as causing objects to appear larger or smaller than they actually are when viewed through a lens with a different refractive index.

5. What factors can affect the index of refraction of a material?

The index of refraction of a material can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the wavelength of light passing through it. Additionally, the chemical composition and structure of the material can also impact its refractive index.