M. Sc. in Electrical Engineering or Physics, for solid state device engineering

In summary, the individual has a B. Sc. in Electrical Engineering and wants to work in the field of photovoltaics/solid state device physics. They are considering doing a graduate degree to gain the necessary qualifications. They have the option of a 2-year M. Sc. in Physics with bridging subjects, or a 2-year M. Sc. in EE in the fields of Microelectronics or Power Electronics. They are also considering the time investment and academic learning benefits, as well as their professional outlook and potential for a PhD in photovoltaics. They are seeking advice on how to make a decision and what factors to consider.
pnJunction
I have a B. Sc. in Electrical Engineering and I would like to work with photovoltaics / solid state device physics. My undergraduate degree is not quite enough to let me work in that field outright. So I'm looking to do a graduate degree.

I applied for a 2-year M. Sc. in Physics program and I was assessed for 2 years' worth of bridging subjects, for a total of 4 years of study. I think that 4 years is quite a long time. The good thing is that I've been talking to a professor who does condensed matter physics and photovoltaics and he's willing to let me join his group.

On the other hand, I have an option to do a 2-year M. Sc. in EE in the field of Microelectronics or Power Electronics. Which one will be a good way to bridge into photovoltaics?

At this university, the Physics department is the more prolific publisher of research output, both locally and internationally.

Not that I'm super rich (or else I wouldn't be asking this question), let's take the issue of finances out of the equation. Let's focus on the time investment (I'm 25) and academic learning benefits.

Time-wise, I'm inclined towards EE; but personally, Physics is more appealing to me. Short term, I'd like to know (with an M. Sc. in Physics) if I can compete with microelectronics engineers for solid state device engineering jobs. Long term, I'd like to do a PhD (for which I'll need publications to get into a program) in photovoltaics. My professional outlook right after finishing my M. Sc. is that I'll need to work for a while first before I can proceed to do my PhD. An industry job is preferable since it usually pays more. On the subject of publications, I will have achieved that during my stint in the M. Sc. program.

What are your thought processes when faced with a dilemma like this? What other factors do you consider?

Physics news on Phys.org
pnJunction said:
I have a B. Sc. in Electrical Engineering and I would like to work with photovoltaics / solid state device physics. My undergraduate degree is not quite enough to let me work in that field outright. So I'm looking to do a graduate degree.

I applied for a 2-year M. Sc. in Physics program and I was assessed for 2 years' worth of bridging subjects, for a total of 4 years of study. I think that 4 years is quite a long time...

Four years! Blimey. They must be short of money and after all the student fees they can get...
Why not take an MSc in your exact area of interest? You are more likely to get on such a course with your degree, e.g., do this in one year(!):

http://www.postgraduate.hw.ac.uk/course/108/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between M. Sc. in Electrical Engineering and Physics for solid state device engineering?

M. Sc. in Electrical Engineering focuses on the application of electrical principles to design and develop electrical systems, while Physics for solid state device engineering focuses on the fundamental principles and theories behind solid state devices.

2. What career opportunities are available with an M. Sc. in Electrical Engineering or Physics for solid state device engineering?

Graduates with an M. Sc. in Electrical Engineering or Physics for solid state device engineering can pursue careers in research and development, product design, manufacturing, and consulting in industries such as semiconductors, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

3. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites required for this program?

A strong foundation in math, physics, and computer programming is essential for success in this program. Additionally, students should have a passion for problem-solving, critical thinking, and a strong attention to detail.

4. What type of research opportunities are available for students in this program?

Students in this program have the opportunity to conduct research in various areas of solid state device engineering, such as semiconductor materials, device fabrication, and device characterization. They may also have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects in collaboration with industry partners.

5. Can this program be completed on a part-time basis?

Some universities may offer a part-time option for this program, allowing students to balance their studies with work or other commitments. However, the program may take longer to complete compared to full-time studies. It is best to check with individual universities for their specific program options.