How Does the Zeeman Effect Alter the Wavelength of Hydrogen's Paschen Lines?

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification and calculation of the allowed 4p to 3d transitions and the change in wavelength for each transition in the presence of an external B field of 2T. After some calculations, a mistake was discovered and the conversation ends with a suggestion to remember the value of "hc" in eV*nm for quicker energy-wavelength conversions.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The [itex]\alpha[/itex] lines of Paschen in the hydrogen spectrum are due to transitions [itex]n=4 \to n=3[/itex]. Identify the allowed [itex]4p \to 3d[/itex] transitions and determine the change in wavelength for each transition if there's an external B field of 2T.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta E=m_l \mu _B B[/itex].
[itex]E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed all transitions possible (it's an enormous mess).
Now say I want to calculate the difference of wavelength of with and without the magnetic field for the transition 4p, m=0 and 3d, m=1 (it's allowed). I have that [itex]m_l=1[/itex].
So applying the first formula I gave, this gives [itex]\Delta E \approx 1.85 \times 10^{-23}J=1.16\times 10^{-4}eV[/itex].
Applying the second formula this gives me [itex]\Delta \lambda \approx 0.01 m[/itex].
I know this result is totally senseless. It's way too big, enormous. From memory Paschen lines are in the near infrared so about 800 nm and a bit up. Nothing like 0.01m!
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, the approach is right. I just made a calculator mistake with the product "hc".

Hi! Glad it worked out.

By the way, both eV energy units and the product hc comes up so frequently in quantum mechanics that it's a good idea to remember (or right down, wherever you have a list of physics constants) it's value:

hc = 1240. eV-nm​

The energy-wavelength conversions will go quicker that way.

Redbelly98 said:
Hi! Glad it worked out.

By the way, both eV energy units and the product hc comes up so frequently in quantum mechanics that it's a good idea to remember (or right down, wherever you have a list of physics constants) it's value:

hc = 1240. eV-nm​

The energy-wavelength conversions will go quicker that way.

Thank you for your concern. And yes, I agree with you, I'll get "hc" in eV*nm into my formula sheet.

First of all, great job trying to solve the problem and showing your work! It's important to always double check your calculations and make sure your results make sense. In this case, you are correct that the change in wavelength you calculated is too large. This is because you used the wrong value for the magnetic field.

The correct formula for the Zeeman effect is actually \Delta E=g\mu_B B, where g is the Lande g-factor. For the hydrogen atom, g=1, so your calculation for \Delta E should be 2 times smaller. Additionally, the value for the Bohr magneton \mu_B is 9.274\times 10^{-24}J/T, which is about 200 times smaller than the value you used. This means that your final result for \Delta \lambda should be about 400 times smaller, which is much more reasonable.

So, to summarize, your mistake was using the wrong values for g and \mu_B in your calculation. Keep up the good work and always double check your results!

1. What is the Zeeman effect exercise?

The Zeeman effect exercise is an experimental activity that demonstrates the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field. It was discovered by Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman in 1896 and is a result of the interaction between an external magnetic field and the atomic electrons.

2. What materials are needed for the Zeeman effect exercise?

The materials needed for the Zeeman effect exercise include a light source (such as a gas discharge tube), a magnet, a diffraction grating or prism, and a screen or detector to observe the spectral lines.

3. How does the Zeeman effect relate to atomic structure?

The Zeeman effect is directly related to the atomic structure of an element. It occurs when the energy levels of an atom are split into multiple sub-levels in the presence of a magnetic field. This effect is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic moments of the electrons in the atom.

4. What are the practical applications of the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect has several practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It allows for the determination of atomic properties and can be used to study the magnetic fields of stars and other celestial bodies.

5. Can the Zeeman effect exercise be used to identify unknown elements?

No, the Zeeman effect exercise alone cannot be used to identify unknown elements. It is only useful for studying the atomic properties of known elements and cannot distinguish between different elements. Other techniques, such as spectroscopy, are needed for element identification.