Calculating Resultant Vector from Angle & Vectors

In summary, to find the resultant vector (a) given two vectors (d and e) and the angle between them, you can use the law of cosines. This is necessary if you only have the magnitude of d and e, but if you have the vectors themselves, you can simply add or subtract them to find the resultant vector.
danialq15

Homework Statement

Given two vectors(d and e) in the form of (x,y,z), and given the angle between the vectors, how do you find the resultant vector (a)

Homework Equations

Cosine equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we can use cosine law some how?

Physics news on Phys.org

if the resultant vector is what I think it is (either the vector that goes from the origin to the end of d+e or the vector that goes from the end of d to the end of e) then you don't need to use the law of cosines, you can just add/subtract the vectors d and e from each other

you would have to use the law of cosines of you only have the magnitude of d and e though

1. How do I calculate the resultant vector from an angle and two given vectors?

In order to calculate the resultant vector, you will need to use the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. Start by finding the horizontal and vertical components of each given vector. Then, use the angle between the two vectors to determine the angle of the resultant vector. Finally, use the trigonometric functions to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of the resultant vector?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of the resultant vector is the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components of the vector. This can also be written as the square root of (x2 + y2), where x and y are the horizontal and vertical components, respectively.

3. How do I determine the direction of the resultant vector?

The direction of the resultant vector can be determined by using the inverse tangent (arctan) function. This will give you the angle between the horizontal component of the resultant vector and the resultant vector itself. Remember to also consider the direction of the given vectors when determining the direction of the resultant vector.

4. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resultant vector?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resultant vector. This is because the Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the horizontal and vertical components of the resultant vector represent the other two sides of the triangle.

5. What if I am given more than two vectors, how do I calculate the resultant vector?

If you are given more than two vectors, you will need to first find the resultant vector of the first two vectors using the above method. Then, you can use this resultant vector and the third vector to calculate the final resultant vector. Continue this process for any additional vectors until you have calculated the final resultant vector.