Statically indeterminate beam question

In summary, the conversation is about solving a question using the superposition method, with the attached question and formulae. The answers are Ra=0.33 kN, Rc=2.67 kN, Mc=-1.27 kN, and Mb=0.49 kN. The question involves a propped cantilever and adding fictitious forces to complete the solution. The person seeking help is unsure of how to calculate the deflection at point A due to a distributed load on only part of the beam. Multiple methods are suggested, including using a table and examples.
georgeburton
I have been trying to solve this question using the superposition method, but cannot seem to get the correct answer. Can anyone help?
Question & formulae are attached.
Cheers, G

Physics news on Phys.org
here are the files
the answers are;
Ra=0.33 kN
Rc=2.67 kN
Mc=-1.27 kN
Mb=0.49 kN

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 20.03.51.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 20.03.51.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Formulae table.jpg
    Formulae table.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 10,670
Seems a simple enough propped cantilever.

Do you realize you have to add some ficticious forces (loads) to complete this by superposition? If you do this all the necessary parts are tabulated in your second picture.

You need to show us some of your own working (even if wrong) before we can help further.

To solve this, i would state that the deflection of the beam at A equals 0.
I am just unsure how to calculate the deflection due to the distributed load using the table. This is because the table doesn't offer any deflection equations for beams that have distributed loads on only parts of the beam rather than all of it.

If the distributed load was on the first half of the beam i would have no difficulty solving it. It's just that the point i am trying to calculate deflection for (i.e. point A) does not lie within the distributed load.

Any advice?

Does this sketch help?

Attachments

• gbeam1.jpg
    gbeam1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 680
Hi, thanks for the help so far, but i am still unsure of how i would calculate the deflection at 'A' due to the load that you have drawn underneath the beam.
As the distributed load is not at the built in end, i don't know how to calculate the deflection due to it.

It is difficult to know what advice to offer since I don't know what beam methods you have covered. You would not usually do this by superposition alone.

Perhaps these examples will help

Attachments

• gbeam2.jpg
    gbeam2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 612
  • gbeam3.jpg
    gbeam3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 653

1. What is a statically indeterminate beam?

A statically indeterminate beam is a type of structural element that cannot be fully analyzed using basic equations of equilibrium. This means that the forces and moments acting on the beam cannot be determined solely by the static equilibrium equations.

2. How do you determine the reactions and internal forces of a statically indeterminate beam?

To determine the reactions and internal forces of a statically indeterminate beam, additional equations or methods such as the slope-deflection method or the moment distribution method must be used. These methods take into account the flexibility of the beam and allow for the calculation of reactions and internal forces.

3. What are the advantages of using a statically indeterminate beam in a structure?

Statically indeterminate beams have the advantage of being able to distribute loads and forces more evenly along the beam, resulting in a more stable and efficient structure. They also have the ability to resist larger loads and reduce the overall deflection of the structure.

4. What are some common examples of structures that use statically indeterminate beams?

Some common examples of structures that use statically indeterminate beams include bridges, high-rise buildings, and industrial platforms. These structures require the additional stability and strength provided by statically indeterminate beams to support their weight and resist external forces.

5. How do you determine the degree of indeterminacy of a statically indeterminate beam?

The degree of indeterminacy of a statically indeterminate beam can be determined by counting the number of unknown reactions and internal forces in the beam and comparing it to the number of available equilibrium equations. If the number of unknowns is greater than the number of equations, the beam is statically indeterminate.