Finding the amount of heat required to double volume?

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Volume
In summary, the problem involves finding the amount of heat that needs to be added to 1.35 mol of oxygen gas at constant pressure to double its volume, starting at 11.0°C. The molar specific heats are assumed to be cp=7R/2 and cv=5R/2. The equations used in the attempt at a solution include Q=nCpΔT and Q=-PΔV, but the value of P is unknown. It is suggested to use the ideal gas law and conservation of mass to solve the problem.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

In an experiment, 1.35 mol of oxygen (02) are heated at constant pressure starting at 11.0°C. How much heat must be added to the gas to double its volume? You may assume without proof, that the molar specific heats are cp=7R/2 and cv=5R/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My working so far...

Q=nCpΔT

Q=n(7R/2)ΔT

Q= 1.35(7R/2)(s-11) -----> where s= Tf

But I need some equation linking change in volume to this...

ie Q= -PΔV

But I don't Know what P is?

Perhaps I need something with ΔEint but I am not to sure.
I was thinking I will need to solve the first equation simultaneously with one with ΔV

I'm stuck as to where to go from here??

Please help any advice is greatly noted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use the ideal gas law followed by a conservation of mass.

1. How do you calculate the amount of heat required to double volume?

The amount of heat required to double the volume of a substance can be calculated using the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity and how does it relate to finding the amount of heat required to double volume?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. It relates to finding the amount of heat required to double volume because it is one of the variables in the equation used to calculate heat (Q = mCΔT).

3. Does the substance being heated affect the amount of heat required to double volume?

Yes, the amount of heat required to double volume can vary depending on the substance being heated. This is because different substances have different specific heat capacities, which means they require different amounts of heat to change their temperature by the same amount.

4. Can the amount of heat required to double volume change over time?

Yes, the amount of heat required to double volume can change over time. This is because the specific heat capacity of a substance can change with temperature, and the temperature of a substance can also change over time as it is being heated.

5. How can the amount of heat required to double volume be used in practical applications?

The amount of heat required to double volume can be used in various practical applications, such as in industrial processes, cooking, and heating and cooling systems. It is important to understand this concept in order to properly control and regulate temperature changes in these applications.