A question about drug tolerance

• Medical
  • Thread starter janal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tolerance
In summary, the liver's P450 system is chronically induced or easily excitable which may be causing tolerance to medications very quickly. The individual may need to try different regimes to improve drug availability or try another medication if the depression is due to an underlying condition.
janal
I become tolerant of meds quickly and upping the dose dose not help. Neither does stopping the drug for over a year and trying again. Can anything be done about this?

Biology news on Phys.org
janal said:
I become tolerant of meds quickly and upping the dose dose not help. Neither does stopping the drug for over a year and trying again. Can anything be done about this?

If you're becoming "tolerant" to multiple drugs very quickly it probably isn't an issue with tolerance, rather with the liver's P450 system being chronically induced or easily excitable. Tolerance is normally a "slower" process and you should think about it happening at the level of the drugs target. Individuals vary greatly in the amount of hepatic metabolism that drugs undergo.

If these are necessary prescribed drugs, I'd talk to your doctor about it. He/She can try different regimes to improve drug availability. If its for recreational drugs or OTCs your probably SOL.

Thanks for the info. Although I have stopped responding to pain relievers and allergy meds this year after working fine for years, my main problem is prescription meds for depression. I've tried about a dozen and only had a positive response to three. Nardil and later Welbutrin each gave me a month of feeling much better. Almost overnight they stopped working. My latest drug was an anti-narcolepsy med modafinil added to seemingly useless Cybalta & Welbutrin. The first two days I had a lot more energy, then nothing. When my dose was doubled, I slept more than usual. My psychiatrist only has about two more ideas: dextroamphetamine or the Emsam patch. Did you mean to try different anti-depressants that might agree with my hepatic metabolism or is there something that I could take (or do) that could change my hepatic metabolism? Feel free to dumb down your response. A GED and ECT don't make for deep thinking.

What is drug tolerance?

Drug tolerance is the body's reduced response to a drug over time, meaning that larger doses are needed to achieve the same effect.

What causes drug tolerance?

Drug tolerance can be caused by a variety of factors, including repeated use of the drug, changes in brain chemistry, and genetic predisposition.

How does drug tolerance develop?

Drug tolerance develops as a result of the body's attempt to maintain balance and counteract the effects of the drug. This can lead to changes in the brain and body's response to the drug.

Can drug tolerance be reversed?

Yes, drug tolerance can be reversed by taking a break from the drug or by reducing the dosage. However, it may take some time for the body to readjust and for the effects of the drug to be felt again.

What are the dangers of drug tolerance?

Drug tolerance can lead to an increased risk of drug overdose, as individuals may take larger doses in an attempt to feel the same effects. It can also make it more difficult to treat medical conditions, as higher doses may be needed to achieve the desired effect.