Bloch function of an infinite, 1-D linear chain of dz2 orbitals.

In summary, the Bloch function for an infinite, one-dimensional linear chain of dz2 orbitals separated by a distance a can be expressed as ψk(x) = Ʃexp(ikna)χn(x), where χn(x) is the radial part of the dz2 wavefunction and n is the index for the individual orbitals in the chain. The function is periodic with a period of a due to the periodic nature of the lattice structure.
Dekoy

Homework Statement

Consider an infinite, one-dimensional linear chain of dz2 orbitals separated at a distance a. Write an expression of the BLOCH FUNCTION that describes this chain.

Homework Equations

ψk=Ʃexp(ikna)χn

The Attempt at a Solution

I read this http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.198708461/pdf and from here I gt the idea that the Bloch function should just be Ʃexp(ikna) times the radial part of the dz2 wavefunction but I don't think this is correct. Could anyone please explain how I can do this I've already looked all over the web and books and couldn't find anything.
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

You are definitely on the right track with your understanding of the Bloch function in this scenario. The Bloch function for an infinite, one-dimensional linear chain of dz2 orbitals separated by a distance a can be written as:

ψk(x) = Ʃexp(ikna)χn(x)

Where χn(x) is the radial part of the dz2 wavefunction and n is the index for the individual orbitals in the chain. The term exp(ikna) represents the phase shift between neighboring orbitals and is dependent on the wavevector k and the distance between orbitals a.

One thing to note is that the Bloch function is a periodic function, meaning that it repeats itself every a units. This is due to the periodic nature of the lattice structure in this scenario.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the Bloch function of an infinite, 1-D linear chain of dz2 orbitals?

The Bloch function of an infinite, 1-D linear chain of dz2 orbitals is a mathematical representation of the wave-like behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. It describes the probability distribution of finding an electron in a specific energy state and location within the crystal.

2. How does the Bloch function relate to the dz2 orbital?

The Bloch function is derived from the dz2 orbital, which is a type of atomic orbital that describes the spatial distribution of an electron around a nucleus. In the Bloch function, the dz2 orbital is extended to describe the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice.

3. What are the key properties of the Bloch function?

The Bloch function has several key properties, including periodicity in space, which means that it repeats itself at regular intervals throughout the crystal lattice. It also has a complex-valued wave function, which allows for interference effects between electrons.

4. How does the Bloch function affect the electronic structure of a crystal?

The Bloch function plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of a crystal. It allows for the formation of energy bands, which are ranges of allowed energy states for electrons in the crystal. The shape and spacing of these bands are determined by the properties of the Bloch function.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the Bloch function?

Understanding the Bloch function is essential for studying the properties and behavior of materials, such as semiconductors and metals. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as transistors and solar cells, which rely on the manipulation of electronic properties in crystals.