Is there a simpler way to write the cross product of curl?

In summary, there is no specific rule for writing the expression \vec B \times (\vec \nabla \times \vec A), but with some manipulation, it can be written as B_x\nabla A_x+B_y\nabla A_y+B_z\nabla A_z, which resembles a dot product with vector B. Using the identity grad(A dot B)=A cross (curl B) + B cross (curl A) + (A dot grad)B + (B dot grad)A, it can also be written as \vec B \times (\nabla \times \vec A)=B_m \nabla_i A_m - B_l \nabla_l A_i. Finally,
Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is there any neat way/rule to write:

[tex]\vec B \times (\vec \nabla \times \vec A)[/tex]
?

I've tried it myself and found (e.g) for the x-component:

[tex]\left(B_x\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x}+B_y\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}+B_z\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}\right)-\left(B_x\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x}+B_y\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y}+B_x\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z}\right)[/tex]

I can write the last terms with the minus sign as: [itex]\vec B \cdot \nabla A_x[/itex], but I can't find a way to do something nice to the first term, except maybe:

[tex]\left(\vec B \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\vec A\right)[/tex]
I've never seen such an expression before though.
The other 2 components are similar:
[tex]\left[\vec B \times (\vec \nabla \times \vec A)\right]_y=\left(\vec B \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\vec A\right)-\left(\vec B \cdot \nabla A_y\right)[/tex]
[tex]\left[\vec B \times (\vec \nabla \times \vec A)\right]_z=\left(\vec B \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial z}\vec A\right)-\left(\vec B \cdot \nabla A_z\right)[/tex]

I figured I may see something if I combined them all into the general expression:

[tex]\left(B_x\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x}+B_y\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}+B_z\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial z}\right)\hat x +\left(B_x\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y}+B_y\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial y}+B_z\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial y}\right)\hat y+\left(B_x\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z}+B_y\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial z}+B_z\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial z}\right)\hat z-(\vec B \cdot \vec \nabla)\vec A[/tex]
There's definitely a pattern in the first 3 terms, but the best I could come up with is writing these terms as:
[tex]B_x\nabla A_x+B_y\nabla A_y+B_z\nabla A_z[/tex]
That has condensed it a lot. Looks like a dot product with B, but...

Physics news on Phys.org
identity: (from Griffiths, Introduction to EM)

grad(A dot B)=A cross (curl B) + B cross (curl A) + (A dot grad)B + (B dot grad)A

Playing around with it more:

[tex]\vec B \times(\nabla \times \vec A)
=\epsilon_{ijk}B_j ( \epsilon_{klm}\nabla_l A_m)
=B_m \nabla_i A_m - B_l \nabla_l A_i[/tex]
where I used
[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{klm}=\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl}[/tex]

So, you've essentially got it.

HINT:ALWAYS use cartesian tensors when proving vector identities...With objects from R^{n},of course.

Daniel.

1. What is the cross product of curl?

The cross product of curl is a mathematical operation that combines the curl of a vector field with another vector to create a new vector that is perpendicular to both the original vector and the curl vector. It is also known as the vector product of curl.

2. How is the cross product of curl calculated?

The cross product of curl is calculated using the vector cross product formula. It involves taking the cross product of the curl vector with the original vector, and then multiplying it by the magnitude of the curl vector. This results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both the original vector and the curl vector.

3. What is the physical significance of the cross product of curl?

The physical significance of the cross product of curl is that it represents the rotation or circulation of a vector field. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of fluids and electromagnetic fields.

4. How is the cross product of curl used in real-world applications?

The cross product of curl is used in various real-world applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It helps in understanding the flow of fluids and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and it is also used in 3D graphics to create realistic motion effects.

5. Are there any other properties or relationships related to the cross product of curl?

Yes, there are other properties and relationships related to the cross product of curl, such as the fact that it is a vector quantity, and it follows the right-hand rule. It also has a close relationship with the dot product of curl, which can be used to derive various vector identities.