Idealized Fluid: Pressure & Force Tangential to Surface

• Thread starter Von Neumann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary: I am not sure what you are getting at. Two links have been provided. See any fluid mechanics text for a definition of a fluid. For example:From the point of view of fluid mechanics, all matter consists of only two states, fluid and solid. The difference between the two is perfectly obvious to the layperson, and it is an interesting exercise to ask a layperson to put this difference into words. The technical distinction lies with the reaction of the two to an applied shear or tangential stress.
Von Neumann
1. The problem statement...
The textbook I am using states that an idealized fluid cannot sustain a force tangential to its surface. Can anyone expound upon this argument? This statement is an introductory exploration of pressure and is cited as the reason that the force dF exerted by its surrounding is perpendicular to the surface bounding a fluid. Therefore, this force dF is parallel to the area vector dA. The pressure is then defined to be the ratio of these two quantities. Pressure being the ratio of force per unit area makes perfect sense, but this explanation is somewhat cloudy to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a round about way of talking about a fluid. By definition, a fluid is a substance that cannot sustain a force tangential to its surface (i.e. a shearing force).

Thanks guys!

Now this makes complete sense! I thought some particular property of fluids was responsible for this phenomenon. I wasn't aware that this is a defining feature of fluids.

Saladsamurai said:
Sounds like a round about way of talking about a fluid. By definition, a fluid is a substance that cannot sustain a force tangential to its surface (i.e. a shearing force).

This is, of course, not correct. A viscous Newtonian fluid supports shear stresses via Newton's law of viscosity. If a fluid could not support shear stresses, the pressure drop in a straight cylindrical pipe would always be zero. For rectilinear flow, shear stress is equal to the viscosity times the shear rate.

Chestermiller said:
This is, of course, not correct. A viscous Newtonian fluid supports shear stresses via Newton's law of viscosity. If a fluid could not support shear stresses, the pressure drop in a straight cylindrical pipe would always be zero. For rectilinear flow, shear stress is equal to the viscosity times the shear rate.

It cannot support a shear force means it will continually deform when subjected such. See links.

Saladsamurai said:
It cannot support a shear force means it will continually deform when subjected such. See links.

In that sense, it cannot support a normal force either, unless the normal loading is isotropic. If the three principal stresses are unequal, a fluid will always exhibit a shear deformation.

Chestermiller said:
In that sense, it cannot support a normal force either, unless the normal loading is isotropic. If the three principal stresses are unequal, a fluid will always exhibit a shear deformation.

I am not sure what you are getting at. Two links have been provided. See any fluid mechanics text for a definition of a fluid. For example:

"Fluid Mechanics" 5th Ed said:
From the point of view of fluid mechanics, all matter consists of only two states, fluid
and solid. The difference between the two is perfectly obvious to the layperson, and it
is an interesting exercise to ask a layperson to put this difference into words. The technical
distinction lies with the reaction of the two to an applied shear or tangential stress.
A solid can resist a shear stress by a static deformation; a fluid cannot. Any shear
stress applied to a fluid, no matter how small, will result in motion of that fluid.

Saladsamurai said:
I am not sure what you are getting at. Two links have been provided. See any fluid mechanics text for a definition of a fluid. For example:

I should reveal to you that I am a guy with a lot of fluid mechanics experience. What I am getting at by what I said is that not only can a fluid not support shear stresses, it also can not support normal stresses without deforming (unless the stress tensor is isotropic). The stress tensor being isotropic means that the three principal stresses are all equal to one another. If you don't know much about the stress tensor and principal stresses, and intend to work in fluid mechanics, you need to learn something about how it works.

Chet

What is an idealized fluid?

An idealized fluid is a theoretical concept used in fluid mechanics to simplify the study of fluid flow. It is assumed to have no viscosity, meaning it has no internal friction, and is also assumed to be incompressible, meaning its density remains constant. These assumptions allow for easier calculations and analysis of fluid behavior.

What is pressure in an idealized fluid?

Pressure in an idealized fluid is defined as the force per unit area exerted by the fluid on its surroundings. It is a measure of how much the fluid molecules are pushing against a surface. In an idealized fluid, pressure is exerted tangential to the surface, meaning it acts parallel to the surface rather than perpendicular to it.

How is pressure calculated in an idealized fluid?

In an idealized fluid, pressure is calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This equation assumes that the force is acting perpendicular to the surface and the area is flat. To calculate pressure when the force is acting tangential to the surface, one must use the equation P = F sinθ/A, where θ is the angle between the force vector and the surface.

What is the relationship between pressure and force in an idealized fluid?

In an idealized fluid, pressure and force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as pressure increases, so does the force exerted by the fluid on the surface. Similarly, if the force increases, the pressure will also increase. This relationship is described by the equation P = F/A.

Why is the force exerted by an idealized fluid tangential to the surface?

This is due to the assumption that an idealized fluid has no viscosity. In real fluids, viscosity causes the molecules to stick together and results in a force that is perpendicular to the surface. However, in an idealized fluid with no viscosity, there is no stickiness between the molecules, resulting in a tangential force exerted on the surface.