What is the Differential of a Vector?

In summary, a student was confused about a concept related to cylindrical coordinates and the differential of a vector. After discussing with a TA and others, it was clarified that the differential of a vector is similar to the differential of a real-valued function. The student's initial guess was confirmed to be correct and they were able to fully understand the concept.
Kalimaa23
Greeting

A TA has got me very and utterly confused. He won't be avaible for a few days, so I'm asking you guys.

Consider the transformation to cilindrical coord.

x-->r.con[the]
y-->r.sin[the]
z-->z

I have the Jabobian (no problems here).
He then asks the differential da , where a is a vector.
Enter the first confusion. I know the differential of the transformation (the linear function given by the Jacobian matrix), but what the hell is the differential of a vector?

My guess is: da =dxx +dyy +dzz .

I have the unity vectors of the new system.

The trick is now what is dr in fuction of the new unity vectors?

Then answer : da =drr +rd[the][the] +dzz

How the hell is this determined?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dimitri Terryn
Enter the first confusion. I know the differential of the transformation (the linear function given by the Jacobian matrix), but what the hell is the differential of a vector?

It's not a whole lot different from the differential of a real-valued function. Surely you've seen them before. In Physics I, you learn that velocity v is related to displacement r by:

v=dr/dt

The dr in the derivative is nothing more than the differential of the vector r.

My guess is: da =dxx +dyy +dzz .

That is true if a=xx+yy+zz. Is that what a is?

Yep, that's exactly right. I just got a little confused. The things was part of a introduction to tensors, covariance and contravariance, and between the sea of indices I somewhat lost sight.

It's all clear now, though. :smile:

What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process used to convert coordinates from one coordinate system to another. This is often necessary when working with data collected from different sources or using different systems of measurement.

Why is coordinate transformation important?

Coordinate transformation is important because it allows scientists to compare and analyze data collected from different sources or using different systems of measurement. It also helps to ensure that data is accurate and consistent when used in calculations or models.

What are the different types of coordinate transformation?

There are several types of coordinate transformation, including affine transformations, projective transformations, and polar coordinate transformations. Each type has its own specific mathematical equations and methods for converting coordinates.

How is a coordinate transformation calculated?

A coordinate transformation is calculated using a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the coordinates in the two coordinate systems. These equations are often based on geometric principles and can vary depending on the type of transformation being used.

What are some real-world applications of coordinate transformation?

Coordinate transformation has many real-world applications, including cartography, navigation, satellite imaging, and geographic information systems. It is also used in various scientific fields such as astronomy, geology, and meteorology to analyze and interpret data collected from different sources.