Apparent weight / Rotating coordinate system

In summary: Also, what is the direction of the gravitational acceleration g?In summary, the apparent weight of an object on a rotating planet is given by the formula m((g-ω^{2}Rcos^{2}λ)^{2}-(ω^{2}Rcosλsinλ)^{2})^{1/2}, where ω is the angular velocity of the planet and R is its radius. The planet Isobarios has a spherically symmetric shape and a day length of 2 hours, 46 minutes, and 40 seconds. The direction of the angular velocity is given by ω= ωcosλ\hat{y} - ωsinλ \hat{z}, and the gravitational acceleration
adichy

Homework Statement

Show that, owing to the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the apparent weight of an object
of mass m at latitude λ is :

m((g-[itex]ω^{2}[/itex]R[itex]cos^{2}[/itex]λ)[itex]^{2}[/itex]-([itex]ω^{2}[/itex]Rcosλsinλ)[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex]

where ω is the angular velocity of the Earth and R its radius.
The first space travellers to reach the planet Isobarios land in the polar regions and discover,
to their surprise, that the apparent weight of objects, measured with a spring balance, does
not vary with latitude even though the planet is rotating. The planet is spherically symmetric
and the length of the “day” is 2hr46min40sec. Calculate its mean density.

Homework Equations

g*=-g R/R -ωx(ωxR)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken ω= ωcosλ[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] - ωsinλ [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

since we have gravity going in the z direction i took R= (R[itex]\hat{x}[/itex], R[itex]\hat{y}[/itex], 0)

i then crossed these two terms to find ωRsinλ[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] - ωRsinλ[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] -ωRcosλ[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

i then crossed it again with ω to find

2Rcos2λ + ω2Rsin2λ )[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] - ω2Rsin2λ [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] + ω2Rsinλcosλ[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

i tidied the first formula to get

ω2R[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + ω2Rcosλ(cosλ[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]-sinλ[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]) - g[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

thats the first part of my problem, I am not sure how to get rid of the ω2R[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] as without that i can just use trig and the answer will pop out.

on the 2nd part of the question were told lambda is independent of apparent gravity, I am not exactly sure what that implies so I've left that part for now.

i know that g= GM/R2

taking M=V x ρ we then have g= 4πGRρ and we also know its angular speed since length of day was given ω=2π/T = 104s exactly

Im stuck on what to do next after those steps, and I am sure the answer is staring me in the face but i just can't see it :frown:

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
adichy said:
I've taken ω= ωcosλ[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] - ωsinλ [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

Why is this so? Why does the direction of angular velocity change with latatitude? Is this possible for a planet, presumably a solid body?

1. What is apparent weight?

Apparent weight refers to the perceived weight of an object when it is in motion or in a non-inertial reference frame, such as a rotating coordinate system. It includes the effect of both the actual weight of the object and any additional forces acting on it due to its motion.

2. How is apparent weight different from actual weight?

Actual weight is the force exerted by an object due to gravity, while apparent weight takes into account the additional forces acting on the object in a non-inertial reference frame. This can result in a change in the perceived weight of the object.

3. What causes the apparent weight of an object to change?

The apparent weight of an object can change due to the acceleration or deceleration of the rotating coordinate system. This acceleration creates an additional force on the object, causing its apparent weight to differ from its actual weight.

4. How is apparent weight related to centripetal and centrifugal forces?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in a rotating coordinate system. These forces can contribute to the change in an object's apparent weight.

5. How can the apparent weight of an object be calculated?

The apparent weight of an object can be calculated using the formula Apparent Weight = Actual Weight + Net Centripetal Force. The net centripetal force can be found by subtracting the centrifugal force from the centripetal force, which can be calculated using the object's mass, angular velocity, and distance from the center of rotation.