Proportionality of Traction and Wheel Slip

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between usable traction and wheel slip, with the discovery that wheel slip is inversely proportional to traction. The topic also touches on the optimum way to plough a field with a tractor and plough, with a recommended 10% wheel slip. Further information and research is suggested for the Pacejka empirical model, which describes the non-linear relationships between normal force, traction, and slip, and the "Magic formula" for maximum tractive force at around 20% slip.
DelToro
Hi All!
I've been doing some research in an attempt to uncover the proportionality between usable traction, which is defined as the the product of coefficient of static friction and the normal force, and the wheel slip. Given the nature of the the equation for usable traction, I expected that wheel slip would decrease directly as traction went up. However, after some experimentation of my own, the proportionality is inverse. That is, Wheel slip is inversely proportional to traction.

So, as you increase mass in a linear fashion I have found that wheel slip decreases in an inverse fashion. Is there anyone here who can point me in the right direction as to why traction is inversely related to wheel slip?

Physics news on Phys.org
The optimum way to plough a field with a given tractor and plough is to drive with a constant wheel slip. If I remember correctly, it is about 10% slip. What is optimised I forget, fuel consumption, driver wages or tractor wear.
If you google tractor wheel slip you should find plenty of information.

Likes 1 person
I suggest searching out material on the Pacejka empirical model.
If you can find a paper that describes the model you will see that the relationships between normal force, traction and slip are non linear. For many tyres and conditions, somewhere around 20% slip gives the maximum tractive force.
It may also be described as the "Magic formula".

Cheers,
Terry

Likes 1 person

1. What is the concept of proportionality of traction and wheel slip?

The proportionality of traction and wheel slip refers to the relationship between the amount of traction (or grip) a vehicle has on the road and the amount of slip (or loss of traction) the wheels experience while driving. This relationship is important in understanding a vehicle's ability to maintain control and traction in various driving conditions.

2. How does the proportionality of traction and wheel slip affect a vehicle's performance?

The proportionality of traction and wheel slip directly impacts a vehicle's acceleration, braking, and steering abilities. If there is too much wheel slip, the vehicle may have difficulty accelerating or braking efficiently, and steering may become more difficult to control.

3. What factors influence the proportionality of traction and wheel slip?

The proportionality of traction and wheel slip is influenced by several factors, including the type and condition of the tires, the road surface, the weight and distribution of the vehicle, and the driving conditions (such as weather or terrain).

4. How can the proportionality of traction and wheel slip be improved?

To improve the proportionality of traction and wheel slip, it is important to ensure that the vehicle's tires are properly inflated and have good tread depth. Additionally, driving at appropriate speeds for the road conditions and avoiding sudden or aggressive movements can also help improve traction and reduce wheel slip.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring the proportionality of traction and wheel slip?

Ignoring the proportionality of traction and wheel slip can lead to decreased control and stability of the vehicle, making it more difficult to safely navigate through various driving conditions. This can increase the risk of accidents and potentially cause damage to the vehicle or harm to passengers.