Physics summer programs for high school students?

In summary, Me and my friend love physics/math and we're interested in going to a summer program to learn more. Does anyone know some good ones?
glen37
Me and my friend love physics/math and we're interested in going to a summer program to learn more. Does anyone know some good ones?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're in your final year of high school, the perimeter institute in Waterloo, Canada, has a summer program you can apply for:

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Outreach/Students/The_International_Summer_School_for_Young_Physicists/

I'm in my junior year of high school.

I don't know any specifically for physics but there are many research programs you can participate (you can find many with a google search). You must apply to attend them typically and they tend to be very selective so you and your friend might be separated. The title specifies physics programs, but there are many research programs for math (e.g. The Ross program, PROMYS, Honors summer math camp, mathcamp).

Last edited:
NASA has a multitude of programs, although the majority of them are aimed towards aerospace engineering.

I know this is pretty late to reply to this, but my son is also interested in summer physics programs, and I have found 2 so far that look pretty good.

One is at the Michegan State University affiliated with the National Cylcatron Unit (excuse my spelling). The website is http://www.nscl.msu.edu/teachersstudents/programs
on the left side you should see the option for "PAN"
This 1-week program is free, but you are responsible for transportation and room and board if necessary. They use the college dorms and have a cafetaria plan. Applications are due by the end of April.

Another is the California Sumer School for Science and Math taught at the UC campuses at Irvine, Santa Cruz, Los Angeles and San Diego. These are 4-week residential programs and cost about $2500 with everything included. Applications actually closed for these already, but you might want to think about it for next year. The website for these is
http://www.ucop.edu/cosmos/

I just wish I had some of these options when I was in high school. I will be continuing to look into this, so just post again if you are still interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elbobo said:
NASA has a multitude of programs, although the majority of them are aimed towards aerospace engineering.
Apply to the NASA INSPIRE Program. I love physics, and am in this program, and it's frankly amazing.

Beloit College in Wisconsin has a physics of music class this summer for high school students who will be juniors and seniors in Fall 2011. It is called Waves & Oscillations: Sounds & Science and is taught by the Chair of Beloit's Physics department, Paul Stanley. You can learn more about the physics class on our Summer LABS page: http://www.beloit.edu/summerlabs".

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of physics summer programs for high school students?

Physics summer programs for high school students are designed to introduce students to the fundamentals of physics and engage them in hands-on learning experiences. These programs aim to spark students' interest in the subject and provide them with a deeper understanding of the principles and laws that govern the physical world.

2. Who is eligible to participate in physics summer programs for high school students?

Typically, these programs are open to high school students who are currently in grades 9-12. Some programs may have specific eligibility requirements, such as a minimum GPA or completion of certain science courses. It is important to check the program's eligibility criteria before applying.

3. What types of activities or projects are included in physics summer programs for high school students?

Physics summer programs often include a mix of lectures, lab experiments, and hands-on projects. Students may work on projects individually or in groups, and may have the opportunity to present their findings to their peers. Some programs also include field trips and guest speakers to provide a well-rounded learning experience.

4. Are there any prerequisites for participating in a physics summer program?

Most physics summer programs do not have specific prerequisites, but a basic understanding of math and science concepts is recommended. Some programs may require students to have completed certain courses, such as algebra or physics, before enrolling. It is important to check the program's requirements before applying.

5. How can participating in a physics summer program benefit high school students?

Participating in a physics summer program can provide numerous benefits for high school students. It can enhance their critical thinking and problem-solving skills, improve their understanding of core physics concepts, and introduce them to potential career paths in the field of science. Additionally, these programs can help students stand out on college applications and provide valuable hands-on experience in a college-like setting.