Power drain in circuits

by PStudent111
Tags: circuits, drain, power
PStudent111
Feb15-14, 09:56 AM
P: 8
Alright, so, is my thinking correct in that:

1. Within a series circuit, a larger resistor will drain more power than a smaller resistor.
2. Within a parallel circuit, a smaller resistor will drain more power than a larger resistor.
3. Between two circuits, each with the same voltage source, the one with a smaller equivalent resistance will drain more power.

I'm doing some MCAT prep and for some reason the power drain concept is difficult for me but I've think I've got the hang of it now.

Any thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
tiny-tim
Feb15-14, 10:40 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
Hi PStudent111!

Yes.

The easy way to check this is
Quote Quote by PStudent111 View Post
1. Within a series circuit, a larger resistor will drain more power than a smaller resistor.
2. Within a parallel circuit, a smaller resistor will drain more power than a larger resistor.
3. Between two circuits, each with the same voltage source, the one with a smaller equivalent resistance will drain more power.
For 1, the current (I) is the same, so you use P = IV = I2R, which is proportional to R.

For 2 and 3, the voltage (V) is the same, so you use P = IV = V2/R, which is inversely proportional to R.
CWatters
Feb15-14, 01:00 PM
P: 2,861
Not necessarily. This is only true if something in the circuit maintains the same current when the resistance is changed.

For example suppose you changed the resistor to one with an exceptionally high resistance, Lets say you replaced it with a 1m air gap. Virtually no current would flow through the 1m air gap so the power loss would approach zero. However no power would be delivered to the load either so it wouldn't be a very useful circuit.

Instead of using the word "drain" it might be better to use the word "dissipate".

Drakkith
Feb15-14, 02:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,057

Power drain in circuits

Quote Quote by CWatters View Post
Not necessarily. This is only true if something in the circuit maintains the same current when the resistance is changed.

For example suppose you changed the resistor to one with an exceptionally high resistance, Lets say you replaced it with a 1m air gap. Virtually no current would flow through the 1m air gap so the power loss would approach zero. However no power would be delivered to the load either so it wouldn't be a very useful circuit.

Instead of using the word "drain" it might be better to use the word "dissipate".
I think the OP means that there are 2 resistors in series. In such a case the current will be the same through both resistors and the one with a higher resistance will dissipate more power.
CWatters
Feb16-14, 05:21 AM
P: 2,861
Perhaps. He did say "a larger" rather than "the larger".
sophiecentaur
Feb16-14, 06:04 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,398
This is a good example of where some calculations are better than arm waving. If you draw the circuit out, specifying the conditions ( supply voltage, resistor values etc.) and work out the current and power for the supply and the various resistors in the circuit, for various values, you will see the pattern. I mean work the values out yourself and not use an emulator. The sums are easy enough.
Of course, using symbols rather than numbers, the algebra will give you a better idea of what is happening - but it is not necessary if you really don't like Maths.

Register to reply