More popular: Simpsons or Seinfeld?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation compares the shows Seinfeld and The Simpsons and discusses which one is more enjoyable and popular. While some prefer Seinfeld for its smart and brilliant humor, others argue that The Simpsons is more popular with its longer run and feature film. The conversation also touches on other aspects such as celebrity cameos and the decline of both shows. Overall, opinions are divided but it is clear that both shows have made a significant impact on TV history.

Which do you enjoy more, The Simpsons or Seinfeld?

• Both equally

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The Simpsons

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Seinfeld

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
Loren Booda
Which do you enjoy more and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I picked the simpsons just because it's easier to follow. Seinfeld is a great show, but it needs a lot of time dedicated to it, and a lot of the jokes relate to something else that happens in the show. Everything in Seinfeld is a result of something else, and if you missed that something because you were getting a drink, you won't understand the joke(s).

The Simpsons, Seinfeld is trivial.

marlon

marlon said:

marlon

You're a fool. (Edit: And your ugly). Seinfeld is much better, provided you have a brain to get the jokes. Its adult comedy and its funny. The simpsons were funny, but now they pretty much suck. Its situational comedy.

Bye byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Last edited:
Seinfeld got canceled, The Simpsons didn't. I vote for the Simpsons

Seinfeld was never canceled.

http://web.syr.edu/~jrkarp01/kman4.jpg [Broken]

http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/george/george_costanza015.jpg [Broken]

seinfeld_300_061122113004726_wideweb__300x300,1.jpg

This show defined comedy on TV in the 90's.

Come on people, seinfeld is priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both shows changed TV history, so it's tough. Seinfeld at least knew when to stop, they finished the show before it ever became stale... the simpsons just keep going and going and going when they should have stopped somewhere around 1997/98.

I vote for seinfeld. Seinfeld episodes aren't just funny, they are smart, and even brilliant at times. You just don't see many scripts of such quality on TV very often.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/2/2b/Seinfeld_s8e3.jpg [Broken]

The question is...

Which is more popular?

And not...

Which is better?

I like Seinfeld more than the Simpsons, but the Simpsons is obviously more popular.

The Simpsons episodes of late have not been the best ever, but they aren't bad. The movie turned out to be good in my opinion and in Ebert's (4 out of 5 stars). The feature film clinches it, Seinfeld is a great show but it never made it to the big screen. I think this shows that the Simpsons are more popular with most people.

Seinfeld may be more intelligent humor, but that doesn't determine popularity.

i iiked grouchos you bet your life, and sid caesars your show of shows. and fantasyland on the disney show. seinfeld is more like abbot and (3) costello(s), which i also liked. but i especially liked the simpsons episode where paul mccartney and linda had a meditation garden above apu's store with entrance behind the non alcoholic beer. which "has never been a problem". oh yeah and when the super christian neighbor flanders turned out to be the devil. and the golfing marine biologist episode of seinfeld "easy big fella", and the line where cramer romances george's now lesbian erstwhile fiance "i drive em away and he brings em back!" how to choose? but tracy ullman was the best. she gave the simpsons their start.

Last edited:
Some of my favorites: The Simpsons' Halloween episodes. If you think on it, the term "episode" is quite appropriate for raving comedy.

marlon said:

marlon

And The Simpsons are quantum physics?! :tongue:

cyrusabdollahi said:
You're a fool. (Edit: And your ugly).

You are just "half-funny" (Edit: And you are even more ugly, Yeah, THAT'S what YOU are).

Seinfeld is much better, provided you have a brain to get the jokes. Its adult comedy and its funny.
Seinfeld is trivial and the jokes are wayyy too obvious, but hey maybe that's difficult enough for you.

Bye byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Running out of language options ? I must have really hurt you with that one. 1-0 for Marlon

Au revoir Au revoiiiiiirrrrr

radou said:
And The Simpsons are quantum physics?! :tongue:

Indeed, remember the 3-D episode ? :wink:

marlon

JasonRox said:
The question is...

Which is more popular?

And not...

Which is better?

I like Seinfeld more than the Simpsons, but the Simpsons is obviously more popular.

Just before Seinfeld left the air, it was the most popular show on TV. Interestingly, the Simpsons were putting out their best episodes at the same time (95--97). Seinfeld quit at the top, while Simpsons decided to "ride that sucker into the ground."

Some of the jokes on Seinfeld are absolutely AMAZING.

G01 said:
The feature film clinches it, Seinfeld is a great show but it never made it to the big screen. I think this shows that the Simpsons are more popular with most people.

Seinfeld may be more intelligent humor, but that doesn't determine popularity.
Ehh, a lot of shows make it to the big screen that shouldn't - what defines the Simpsons' popularity is the fact that they are on their 19th season! Seinfeld went 9.

I chose Simpsons because in the UK Seinfeld was broadcast on BBC 2 at midnight which wasn't a good time when you're only about 10 years old. Consequently I've never seen it.

Kurdt said:
I chose Simpsons because in the UK Seinfeld was broadcast on BBC 2 at midnight which wasn't a good time when you're only about 10 years old. Consequently I've never seen it.

I used to watch it at 10pm everynight! And then I would watch Jay Leno at 11:35pm. I was 12 at the time when I started.

Seinfeld. They knew when to go out on top. The Simpsons movie should have came out 6-7 years ago. I stopped watching the Simpsons after the first 10 years, after that it got REALLY old and homer became annoying.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Seinfeld. They knew when to go out on top. The Simpsons movie should have came out 6-7 years ago. I stopped watching the Simpsons after the first 10 years, after that it got REALLY old and homer became annoying.

I agree with the fact that the Simpsons should have ended, but in the end, they're still the most popular.

I stopped watching it like 7-8 years ago. I probably seen like 5 or so new episodes since.

One reason that The Simpsons has been on a decline is (was?) the celebrity cameos. I thought they established an embarrassing trend by its producers.

Celebrity cameos have been an integral part of the show since it's inception. :confused::confused:

[edit: actually, since Season 2: http://www.snpp.com/episodeguide/season2.html [Broken]

Not exactly a cameo, but James Earl Jones doing The Raven has to be a TV classic]

marlon said:
You are just "half-funny" (Edit: And you are even more ugly, Yeah, THAT'S what YOU are).

Seinfeld is trivial and the jokes are wayyy too obvious, but hey maybe that's difficult enough for you.
marlon

You have to admit the jokes are far better what you would encounter in Friends, Everybody Loves Rayman...etc. I don't really see Simpsons as having intelligent humor. Have you even watched all Seinfeld episodes?

Simpsons: more relevant to my generation.

russ_watters said:
what defines the Simpsons' popularity is the fact that they are on their 19th season! Seinfeld went 9.
That pretty much says it all :approve:

marlon

I discovered 'The Simpsons' by accident. It never crossed my mind that a cartoon involving family life (as opposed to Bugs Bunny and the like) could be interesting. Out of curiosity, being an SF fan, I tuned into 'Futurama' when it debuted, and loved it. Since 'The Simpsons' is produced by the same crew, I decided to check it out just in case, and love it as well. I'm going to wait for the movie to come out on DVD, though, rather than spend $25 to see it (2 tickets; I can't leave W out).
Conversely, my mother used to watch Seinfeld so I got exposed to it involuntarily. It got so I'd leave the room if it was on. There was never anything that vaguely resembled either intelligence or humour; just a bunch of incredibly loathesome individuals being stupid and self-centred. The only decent episode was the series finale, when they all ended up in jail for being pricks; it should have happened in the first season.

Danger said:
There was never anything that vaguely resembled either intelligence or humour; just a bunch of incredibly loathesome individuals being stupid and self-centred. The only decent episode was the series finale, when they all ended up in jail for being pricks; it should have happened in the first season.
Again, that pretty much says it all. :approve:

marlon

Tony11235 said:
You have to admit the jokes are far better what you would encounter in Friends, Everybody Loves Rayman...etc. I don't really see Simpsons as having intelligent humor. Have you even watched all Seinfeld episodes?
Have you? Is a masturbation competition "intelligent humor"? :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I thought Seinfeld was ok, but highbrow humor? No way.

Regarding the decline of the Simpsons - I think that's a matter of oversaturation. It is on twice a night here, so I often have my fill of it without watching the new episodes on Sunday.

russ_watters said:
Have you? Is a masturbation competition "intelligent humor"? :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I thought Seinfeld was ok, but highbrow humor? No way.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/Seinfeld_s7e17.jpg/200px-Seinfeld_s7e17.jpg [Broken]
Seinfeld was great though. Like that episode George went out with that woman that had a doll collection and one of the dolls looked just like his mother and ever time he stared at her it would start talking to him and he would yell back to the doll. Meanwhile his girlfriend thought he was nuts. :rofl:

I guess I'm the only one that voted neither? :uhh:

I like The Simpsons better than Seinfeld. But then again, when I watched Seinfeld I was 7/8 years old.

O my god people! seinfeld is freakin' brilliant! ... so they had a masturbation competition, how does that disqualify it as intelligent humor? did you see that episode? the dialogue is hilarious and very well-written!

and so what if it's not high-brow? if I had a dollar for every time a shakespeare comedy "cleverly" makes a quaint little allusion to s-e-x so that a bunch of pretentious dudes with weird-looking beards and fake british accents can chuckle under their breath*, I'd probably have enough money to buy season 3 of seinfeld on DVD, which is what I would do (ugh, I can't stand shakespeare. I really don't understand what the big deal is with him. at school they would feed us shakespeare like there's no tomorrow, when there were, and are, so many more interesting writers out there). Intelligent humor doesn't necessarily have to be abstrusely written, is what I'm saying.

The soup nazi! c'mon! the bald chick! ... how can anyone not like seinfeld?... this planet is truly doomed.

116450033_4266fb5229_o.jpg

* ok, I know not all shakespeare fans have weird beards and fake british accents. I just really really really can't stand shakespeare.

Last edited:
Btw, I don't like the soup nazi episode. Probably because everyone likes it.

Thats the perfect reason not to like something. :rolleyes:

<h2>1. Which show has been on air longer: Simpsons or Seinfeld?</h2><p>The Simpsons has been on air since 1989, while Seinfeld ran from 1989 to 1998.</p><h2>2. Which show has won more awards: Simpsons or Seinfeld?</h2><p>Seinfeld has won more awards, including 10 Primetime Emmy Awards, while The Simpsons has won 7.</p><h2>3. Which show has a larger fan base: Simpsons or Seinfeld?</h2><p>The Simpsons has a larger fan base, with a dedicated following and a large merchandising presence.</p><h2>4. Which show has had more impact on pop culture: Simpsons or Seinfeld?</h2><p>The Simpsons has had a larger impact on pop culture, with numerous catchphrases, references, and parodies becoming embedded in mainstream media.</p><h2>5. Which show is more internationally recognized: Simpsons or Seinfeld?</h2><p>The Simpsons is more internationally recognized, with the show being dubbed into multiple languages and airing in over 100 countries.</p>

1. Which show has been on air longer: Simpsons or Seinfeld?

The Simpsons has been on air since 1989, while Seinfeld ran from 1989 to 1998.

2. Which show has won more awards: Simpsons or Seinfeld?

Seinfeld has won more awards, including 10 Primetime Emmy Awards, while The Simpsons has won 7.

3. Which show has a larger fan base: Simpsons or Seinfeld?

The Simpsons has a larger fan base, with a dedicated following and a large merchandising presence.

4. Which show has had more impact on pop culture: Simpsons or Seinfeld?

The Simpsons has had a larger impact on pop culture, with numerous catchphrases, references, and parodies becoming embedded in mainstream media.

5. Which show is more internationally recognized: Simpsons or Seinfeld?

The Simpsons is more internationally recognized, with the show being dubbed into multiple languages and airing in over 100 countries.