Studying for a math degree online?

In summary: However, it is important to check with the state university or state education department to ensure that the program is available for non-US residents. Additionally, taking CLEP tests or starting with a math program at a local community college and transferring to a 4-year university may also be viable options. Ultimately, the key is to focus on learning and mastering the subject and developing strong problem-solving skills.
KCL
Yeah I know, distance-learning schools suck and can't be compared to 'real' ones, but that's my option right now as I'll be working for a few years and was thinking of doing this on the side.

Is there any good ones? Are there even such programs to begin with?

In particular, I'm interested in ones that let people from outside the US enroll as I'll be leaving sunny California soon.

This is very, very important to me. I'd appreciate any info. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
KCL said:
Yeah I know, distance-learning schools suck and can't be compared to 'real' ones, but that's my option right now as I'll be working for a few years and was thinking of doing this on the side.
Hey, hey, what? I and some friends have done distance-learning schools, in my opinion there is nothing wrong.

Sorry that's just the impression I got. :p

What I'm wondering is, how do tests happen? I guess even if it's 'distance' learning you still have to get to some testing center of some sort?

That's a huge limitation. Of course I don't see another way.

To be worthwhile, the school/academic program must be 'accredited'.

Perhaps it would be best to check with the state university or state education department with respect to schools.

One does not want to spend a lot of money and then find one's degree doesn't open doors.

Are there schools that 'test' people, ones that didn't attend that school, in subjects and... issue degrees based on that testing?

I mean math in particular doesn't require labs or any such thing. And all these online schools do is help you with self-study. I can do it on my own, but then I'd need an official degree of some sort - would I be able to get that? Assuming that by then I'd be just as qualified as anybody else who has said degree.

I don't imagine any reputable institution would grant a degree based upon the results of a single test.

One could take the GRE in mathematics ( ETS - http://www.ets.org/ ), which is a test undergrads take as part of the entry requirements for some university.

If one was planning to attend a graduate program in math, then I'd recommend contacting that math department to see if they would arrange for a test. In the meantime, look at the requirements for undergrad and grad programs in mathematics. All university grad programs, with which I'm familiar, require an undergrad degree from an 'accredited' school.

An alternative path could be to start with a math program at a local community college and then transferring to a program at a state or private university with a 4-yr BA/BS program.

KCL said:
Are there schools that 'test' people, ones that didn't attend that school, in subjects and... issue degrees based on that testing?
I agree with Astronuc, no legitimate school would award a degree based on the ability to pass a test without taking any actual courses. Taking AP classes in high school is one way of bypassing freshman courses in college so you jump ahead.

You might be interested in CLEP tests. These are legitimate tests that allow you to get college credits for passing the tests. Not all colleges accept them, but quite a lot do. Here's the wikipedia link since it explains it simply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Level_Examination_Program

The CLEP site http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

I mean math in particular doesn't require labs or any such thing. And all these online schools do is help you with self-study. I can do it on my own, but then I'd need an official degree of some sort - would I be able to get that? Assuming that by then I'd be just as qualified as anybody else who has said degree.
Be sure you are looking at REAL accredited schools and not some bogus online scam.

Last edited:
So far this is the only thing that looks good:

http://distance-ed.math.tamu.edu/program.htm

The one on the right.

It's a Masters, which is actually good because they're still working on the program and when I work my way up to that level they'd have finished ironing out details and such.

For my self-study I'm thinking of browsing some math programs and pickout the subjects and texts they use, and just study those. Get ones with solutions manuals or work books of some sort if I can, get several books/texts on a subject too so if I'm stuck at one thing in one another text might make things clearer. And lots of problems, all sort of problems books and, uh, I'm done here.

Sounds good? This isn't a final plan of course but it all boils down to learning/mastering as much as possible and developing very good problem solving skills right? I'll worry more about a degree and tests when I'm ready to take those, I guess I have an idea right now about what to expect.

Last edited:
Texas A&M is an accredited school, so that seems to be a valid option.

1. What are the benefits of studying for a math degree online?

Studying for a math degree online offers flexibility in terms of time and location. It allows you to study at your own pace and from the comfort of your own home. Online programs also tend to be more affordable and may offer a wider range of course options.

2. What are the admission requirements for an online math degree program?

The admission requirements for online math degree programs may vary depending on the institution. Generally, you will need a high school diploma or equivalent, standardized test scores, and transcripts from previous academic institutions. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation and a personal statement.

3. How do online math degree programs assess student learning?

Online math degree programs use a variety of methods to assess student learning, including online quizzes, exams, and assignments. Some programs may also require students to participate in virtual group projects or discussions to demonstrate their understanding of course material.

4. Can I receive financial aid for an online math degree program?

Yes, many online math degree programs are eligible for financial aid, including scholarships, grants, and loans. It is important to research the specific program and institution to determine what types of financial aid are available and how to apply for them.

5. Are online math degrees viewed as equal to traditional on-campus degrees?

Yes, most employers and graduate schools view online math degrees as equal to traditional on-campus degrees. It is important to choose an accredited program and ensure that your degree is recognized by the institution or organization you plan to work for or attend in the future.