Simple Vector Problem - Finding the x-component

• Thread starter Nulligan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem asks for the x- and y-components of a vector with a magnitude of 7.0 cm/s in the negative x-direction. To find the components, we can use the equations Vx = |V|Cos(Theta) and Vy = |v|Sin(Theta). Since the vector is in the negative x-direction, we can use an angle of 180 degrees and a sign of -1, resulting in x- and y-components of -7.0 cm/s and 0 cm/s, respectively.
Nulligan

Homework Statement

A velocity vector 45 below the positive x-axis has a y-component of - 29 .
What is the value of its x-component?

Homework Equations

Vx = |V|Cos(Theta)
Vy = |v|Sin(Theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Theta = -45 degrees
y-component: -29 = xSin(-45) ... where x is the magnitude of the vector

x = Sin(-45) / - 29
...x = 0.2438

So |V| = 0.24~

Vx = (0.24)Cos(-45)
...=0.171

Says it's wrong, and I don't know where to go now. Am a bit embarassed asking for help with a simple problem like this :\

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops sorry, nevermind, I realized that in Step 2 I should have divided by Sin(-45)

apologies!

Homework Statement

Find x- and y-components of the following vectors
v = 7.0 cm/s, negative x-direction

Homework Equations

Vx = |V|Cos(Theta)
Vy = |v|Sin(Theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit stuck here. I slotted in 7cm/s for |v| but how do I find the components if I'm not given an angle or graphical representation?

It says 'negative x direction'. I think that means it points along the x-axis in the, uh, 'negative' direction. Are you sure you don't want to rethink posting this question?

I thought of that after I posted it and came up with -1, 0 as the x,y components [using cos180 and sign 180) which was still wrong. it's late so I wasn't thinking clearly :P

1. What is a vector and what is its x-component?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. The x-component of a vector is the part of the vector that lies along the x-axis.

2. How do I find the x-component of a vector?

To find the x-component of a vector, you can use the formula: x = v * cos(θ), where v is the magnitude of the vector and θ is the angle the vector makes with the x-axis.

3. Can the x-component of a vector be negative?

Yes, the x-component of a vector can be negative. This means that the vector is pointing in the negative direction along the x-axis.

4. How is the x-component of a vector represented graphically?

In a vector diagram, the x-component of a vector is represented by the length of the vector along the x-axis.

5. What is the relationship between the x-component and the y-component of a vector?

The x-component and y-component of a vector are perpendicular to each other and together they make up the vector. The x-component is the horizontal part of the vector, while the y-component is the vertical part.