A Question related to Co-ordinate Geometry

• Thread starter DarkStalker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the problem is to find the co-ordinates of point P and Q, when a line is drawn through point A (1,2) to intersect the lines 2y=3x-5 and x+y=12 at points P and Q respectively, where AQ=2AP. The solution involves finding the equations for all the lines that go through (1,2) and then finding the intersection points of these lines with 2y=3x-5 and x+y=12. Solving for the distance between these points and A and setting one distance equal to twice the other will yield the value of a, and subsequently the co-ordinates of P and Q.
DarkStalker
Hello. I have this question related to Co-ordinate geometry that I have trouble solving.

Homework Statement

A line is drawn through the point A (1,2) to cut the line 2y=3x-5 in P and the line x+y=12 in Q. If AQ=2AP, find the co-ordinates of P and Q.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It apparently has 2 solutions, according to this website:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53178.html

I'm supposed to find out the exact co-ordinates without having to do any kind of graphical work. I couldn't make any reasonable attempt.

Physics news on Phys.org
give equations for all the lines that go through (1,2). These are all the lines of the form y = ax + b where b = ... ? There's also a vertical line.

a line y = ax + b goes through a point (p,q) if x = p and y= ax+b = q

find where each of that family of lines intersects the other 2 lines. you know how to find the intersection of 2 lines? Also don't forget the vertical line.

now compute the distances from these intersection points to A. set one of them equal to twice the other and solve the equation you get

willem2 said:
give equations for all the lines that go through (1,2). These are all the lines of the form y = ax + b where b = ... ? There's also a vertical line.

Wait, what about 'a', that's also unknown isn't it?

a line y = ax + b goes through a point (p,q) if x = p and y= ax+b = q
Okay, understood.

find where each of that family of lines intersects the other 2 lines. you know how to find the intersection of 2 lines? Also don't forget the vertical line.
I lost you here. What family are you talking about? I know how to find the intersection of 2 lines (by simultaneously solving them), but how am I supposed to yield a value when I don't know what y=ax+b is? If you could please provide me with a solution I'd be really grateful.

DarkStalker said:
I lost you here. What family are you talking about? I know how to find the intersection of 2 lines (by simultaneously solving them), but how am I supposed to yield a value when I don't know what y=ax+b is? If you could please provide me with a solution I'd be really grateful.

you'll get a line that depends on a. (you can find b if a is given because the line
must go through (1,2))

it really isn't a problem if you don't know a. The point of intersection will
of course also depend on a. an example:

if you want to find the intersection of the lines y = ax - 2a and x+y = a - 8
solfve one of the equations for x or y and substitute in the other:

substitute x = a - 8 - y in y = ax -2a to get y = a(a - 8 - y) -2a

y + you = a^2 - 10 a

(1+a)y = a^2 - 10 a

y = (a^2 - 10 a) / (1+a)

substitute the answer for y in x = a - 8 - y to get x

x = a - 8 -y = (a^2 + a - 8a - 8 - a^2 - 10a)/(a+1) = - (17a + 8)/(a+1)

so the lines y = ax - 2a and x+y = a - 8 intersect in the point

(- (17a + 8)/(a+1), (a^2 - 10 a) / (1+a))

if (a = -1) the lines don't intersect.

you'll get an intersection point of the mystery line with 2y=3x-5 and one with the line x+y=12
the postition of both points will also depend on a, and so AQ and AP will also depend on a.

1. What is co-ordinate geometry?

Co-ordinate geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric figures using a coordinate system. It combines algebraic techniques with geometric concepts to solve problems related to points, lines, and shapes on a graph.

2. What is the difference between co-ordinate geometry and Euclidean geometry?

The main difference between co-ordinate geometry and Euclidean geometry is that co-ordinate geometry uses a coordinate system to represent points and shapes, whereas Euclidean geometry relies on geometric principles and constructions to define shapes and their properties.

3. How is co-ordinate geometry used in real life?

Co-ordinate geometry has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used to design structures, analyze data, and create computer graphics. It also helps in navigation and mapping, as well as in the study of planetary motion and other scientific phenomena.

4. What are the basic concepts in co-ordinate geometry?

The basic concepts in co-ordinate geometry include points, lines, and shapes on a graph, as well as the distance and slope between points. Other important concepts include the coordinate plane, the Cartesian coordinate system, and equations of lines and curves.

5. How can I improve my skills in co-ordinate geometry?

To improve your skills in co-ordinate geometry, you can practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the various formulas and concepts. You can also use online resources or seek help from a tutor or teacher. It is important to understand the principles and apply them to different types of problems to become proficient in co-ordinate geometry.