How to incorporate spin into the wavefunction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the introduction of spin in quantum mechanics. It is mentioned that spin is not introduced ad-hoc, but is a logical consequence of Galilean relativity. However, the reference given argues that spin is a consequence of Lorentz/Poincaré/Einstein/Minkowski relativity, not just Galilean relativity. The conversation also mentions that spin was introduced in a rather artificial manner in non-relativistic quantum mechanics and was later addressed by Dirac in his equation for spin 1/2.
HomogenousCow
I'm currently reading the Griffith book and he dosen't really explain this, do i just miltiply the spin kets with the wave function??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd go for less mathematics this time:

Yes, the spin dof do not interfere with the coordinate dof which are used in the normal wavefunction,(= a spin 0 wavefunction), that's why there's a multiplication of the spin ket (a 1-column matrix with 2, 3, 4, etc. components) with a wavefunction depending on x,y,z (or px,py,pz if working in the momentum representation).

In non relativistic quantum mechanics spin is introduced in a rather ad hoc manner and by solving the schrodinger eqn for say hydrogen atom one can introduce all quantum numbers but spin.Spin was introduced as another degree of freedom because it can not be obtained from schrodinger eqn.However pauli introduced it for spin 1/2 by noting that p2 can be written as (σ.p)(σ.p),but it is still artificial.The logical way of introducing it was done by dirac for spin 1/2.

andrien said:
In non relativistic quantum mechanics spin is introduced in a rather ad hoc manner and by solving the schrodinger eqn for say hydrogen atom one can introduce all quantum numbers but spin.Spin was introduced as another degree of freedom because it can not be obtained from schrodinger eqn.However pauli introduced it for spin 1/2 by noting that p2 can be written as (σ.p)(σ.p),but it is still artificial.The logical way of introducing it was done by dirac for spin 1/2.

This is wrong. Spin is not introduced ad-hoc, it's a logical consequence of the Galilean theory, as is in specially relativistic quantum theory. The work of Lévy-Leblond in the 1960's should not be discarded.

Nonrelativistic particles and wave equations

Jean-Marc Lévy-Leblond; 286-311
Commun. math. Phys. 6, 286—311 (1967)

Page 289, to be precise.

http://projecteuclid.org/DPubS?serv...Display&page=toc&handle=euclid.cmp/1103840276

Last edited:
I was saying it in historical way,nevertheless the reference you have given accepts the dirac original view to make a non-relativistic version of dirac eqn and it is not a logical consequence of Galilean theory because it nevertheless assumes linearity in both time and space derivative which was the original point of dirac in his paper.So i will still call it some way of fixing it,rather than some original motivation on Galilean relativity.

Last edited:
The Pauli Equation, 1927, is quadratic, not linear, consequently it bears a strong resemblance to the Schrodinger Equation but not Dirac. Furthermore it was not advertised as a "nonrelativistic version" of the Dirac Equation, which was introduced in 1928, a year later.

andrien said:
I was saying it in historical way,nevertheless the reference you have given accepts the dirac original view to make a non-relativistic version of dirac eqn and it is not a logical consequence of Galilean theory because it nevertheless assumes linearity in both time and space derivative which was the original point of dirac in his paper.So i will still call it some way of fixing it,rather than some original motivation on Galilean relativity.

We're speaking of different things. The reference I've given was meant for the idea that
spin < ----- Galilean relativity, not only that spin < ------ Lorentz/Poincaré/Einstein/Minkowski relativity (thing which has been known since 1928). The issue with Galilei relativistic equations vs Lorentz relativistic equations is totally different and I was not addressing it (it's actually a very broad subject).

1. How does spin affect the wavefunction?

The spin of a particle, such as an electron, is an intrinsic quantum property that affects its behavior in a magnetic field. This spin must be incorporated into the wavefunction in order to accurately describe the particle's properties and interactions.

2. Can spin be incorporated into any wavefunction?

Yes, spin can be incorporated into any wavefunction, as long as the wavefunction is expressed in terms of the correct basis set. For example, when dealing with spin-1/2 particles, the wavefunction must be expressed in terms of two basis states, corresponding to the two possible spin orientations.

3. What is the mathematical representation of spin in the wavefunction?

The mathematical representation of spin in the wavefunction is through the use of spin operators. These operators act on the wavefunction to extract information about the particle's spin, such as its magnitude and orientation.

4. How does the inclusion of spin affect the wavefunction's symmetry?

The inclusion of spin can result in a change in the wavefunction's symmetry. For example, in a system with two identical particles, the wavefunction must be anti-symmetric when the particles have half-integer spin, and symmetric when the particles have integer spin.

5. Are there any practical applications for incorporating spin into the wavefunction?

Yes, incorporating spin into the wavefunction is essential for accurately describing and predicting the behavior of particles in various systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid materials. It is also crucial for understanding phenomena such as magnetism and superconductivity.