Question about linear equation

In summary: Yes, that's correct. Now, can you think of a way to use these two solutions to show that c = d and k = l?Yes, since both equations have to have the same solution set, and we have shown that there is a solution for both equations when x2 = 0 and x1 = c/k, this means that there must be a relationship between c and d, and k and l, in order for both equations to have the same solution set. Therefore, we can conclude that c = d and k = l. In summary, by showing that there is a solution for both equations when x2 = 0 and x1 = c/k, we can infer that there must be a relationship
icesalmon

Homework Statement

Show that if the linear equations x1 + kx2 = c and x1 + lx2 = d have the same solution set, then the equations are identical ( k = l, c = d)

The Attempt at a Solution

since the two equations have the same solution set, they are equal for every value of c and d so x1 + kx2 = x1 + lx2 and I can reduce this down to k = l, what about c and d though? The problem statement tells me, I believe, c = d should I even show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:

since the two equations have the same solution set, they are equal for every value of c and d so x1 + kx2 = x1 + lx2

That's not necessarily true. The two equations sharing the same solution set only means that if a and b satisfy a + kb = c, then a + lb = d. k, l, c and d are fixed numbers, so it is not clear what you mean by them being equal for every value of c and d. It is also not clear how this implies that a + kb = a + lb. The problem statement does not tell you that c = d; that is one of the two equalities you have to prove. Try a more direct approach. If a + kb = c, that gives you a fixed relationship between a and b.

Last edited:
does a become dependent on b?

icesalmon said:

Homework Statement

Show that if the linear equations x1 + kx2 = c and x1 + lx2 = d have the same solution set, then the equations are identical ( k = l, c = d)

since the two equations have the same solution set, they are equal for every value of c and d so x1 + kx2 = x1 + lx2 and I can reduce this down to k = l, what about c and d though? The problem statement tells me, I believe, c = d should I even show this?

What do you mean by "they are equal"? An equation is not equal to another equation, but two equations can be equivalent if they both have the same solution set.

icesalmon said:
does a become dependent on b?

You can phrase it that way, or you can make b dependent on the value of a. Either way, the only thing we know from what they gave us is that a + lb = d for all values of a and b that satisfy a + kb = c.
You can take two approaches from here. You can either use substitution of equal values to formulate an argument about the relationship between l and k, and c and d. That one can be a bit subtle.
Or you can use specific values of a and b to argue for the same relationships, since a and b are variables. For example, is it always possible for b = 0 to be part of the solution set? If so, what conclusion can we draw from the particular solution that includes b = 0?

I thought the problem statement told me that c was equal, and I do mean equal, to d somehow. And I thought that would make it possible to set them equal to one another, so moving forward with the false idea that c = d I let the two equations be equal similar to how functions can be set equal if you are trying to find intersection points, values where they would be the same.

icesalmon said:
I thought the problem statement told me that c was equal, and I do mean equal, to d somehow. And I thought that would make it possible to set them equal to one another
No, it's asking you to prove they're equal. You need to show that both c=d and k=l, without assuming either to start with.

slider142 said:
You can phrase it that way, or you can make b dependent on the value of a. Either way, the only thing we know from what they gave us is that a + lb = d for all values of a and b that satisfy a + kb = c.
You can take two approaches from here. You can either use substitution of equal values to formulate an argument about the relationship between l and k, and c and d. That one can be a bit subtle.
Or you can use specific values of a and b to argue for the same relationships, since a and b are variables. For example, is it always possible for b = 0 to be part of the solution set? If so, what conclusion can we draw from the particular solution that includes b = 0?
that a = d, and a = c. With regards to it always being possible for b = 0 to be an element of the solution set, I would say yes although I don't have any mathematical proof and that's not good enough. But I'm confused about the question, are you saying that in some cases it can be a solution and in others it can't? How can that be possible?

icesalmon said:
With regards to it always being possible for b = 0 to be an element of the solution set, I would say yes although I don't have any mathematical proof and that's not good enough.
It comes to this: given that x1 + kx2 = c, is there a solution for x1 when x2=0? What does the equation say when x2 = 0?

x1 = c
x1 = d

icesalmon said:
x1 = c
Right. So there is guaranteed a solution when x2 = 0, and the same (x1, x2) must be a solution of the other equation.

and I can do the same thing with x1; letting x1 = 0 I get kx2 = c and x2= (c/k) so I have the point (0, c/k) that I can plug into the other equation because the solution sets are the same which I can use because the problem says that, I can just go ahead and solve to get k = l, is this sound? Maybe my wording isn't correct but I think it's the same method.

icesalmon said:
and I can do the same thing with x1; letting x1 = 0 I get kx2 = c and x2= (c/k) so I have the point (0, c/k) that I can plug into the other equation because the solution sets are the same which I can use because the problem says that, I can just go ahead and solve to get k = l, is this sound? Maybe my wording isn't correct but I think it's the same method.
Sounds good to me.

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is a mathematical expression that represents a straight line on a graph. It has the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, which is the point where the line crosses the y-axis.

2. How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any numbers or variables that are on the same side as the variable. Once the variable is isolated, the value of the variable can be determined.

3. What is the slope of a linear equation?

The slope of a linear equation is a measure of its steepness or incline. It is represented by the letter m and is calculated by dividing the change in the y-values by the change in the x-values between any two points on the line.

4. Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear equation can have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the equation represents a line that extends infinitely in both directions and any point on the line satisfies the equation.

5. How are linear equations used in real life?

Linear equations are commonly used in many fields, such as engineering, economics, and physics, to model and solve real-world problems. They can be used to determine the relationship between two variables, make predictions, and analyze data. For example, a linear equation can be used to calculate the cost of a product based on the number of items sold, or to predict the growth of a population over time.