Cities to be Lit by Bioluminescent Trees

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trees
In summary, a laboratory at Stony Brook University has developed a glowing plant by merging luciferin with a simple plant. The result is a plant, in dirt, that glows. The glow can be used for a variety of purposes such as decoration or to illuminate the way in which in dark. There is a large chemical company that has a huge experimental farm near me, and one night, as I was cresting a hill near the farm, I noticed that one of their cornfields had an eerie green glow. The glow could be used for a variety of purposes such as decoration or to illuminate the way in which in dark.
Future Cities Lit by Beautiful Bioluminescent Trees
http://blog.suny.edu/2014/03/future-cities-lit-by-beautiful-bioluminescent-trees/

A laboratory at Stony Brook University, working with designer Dann Roosegaarde, has developed a glowing plant by merging luciferin–which is the chemical that enables fireflies to glow–with a simple plant. The result is a plant, in dirt, that glows. Naturally.
And it is awesome.

Attachments

• article-2540474-1AAD01CF00000578-26_634x402.jpg
    article-2540474-1AAD01CF00000578-26_634x402.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 827
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
How about house plants? We could light our homes with them!

http://climatevoices.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/4m30_dscn1363.jpg

There is a large chemical company that has a huge experimental farm near me. There is actually a guard shack at the entrance, it looks like a military compound. One night, a few years ago, as I was cresting a hill near the farm, I noticed that one of their cornfields had an eerie green glow. I googled and found references to experiments to make corn glow, no idea what I saw.

Evo said:
There is a large chemical company that has a huge experimental farm near me. There is actually a guard shack at the entrance, it looks like a military compound. One night as I was cresting a hill near the farm, I noticed that one of their cornfields had an eerie green glow. I googled and found references to experiments to make corn glow.

What is the upside to glowing corn? Novelty popcorn?

Greg Bernhardt said:
You can pick corn at night. :tongue: I guess it was just to see if it could be done. Of course, they could have placed green glowing lights all through the field, you could not see the fields normally, they are surrounded by high walls.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:

At one point, researchers were discussing making plants that bioluminesce in response to injury from pests or disease. I have no idea if anyone has gone forward with that idea.

How about engineering it into fruit, so they'll glow at a perfect time to eat. Or in animal muscle tissue, to glow when meat is spoiled. Possibilities are endless, but will society let such freak products free into nature?

Sheldon Cooper already got his goldfish which glow in the dark.

The result is a plant, in dirt, that glows. Naturally.
I don't subscribe to the views of the people depicted in nsaspook's post, but I don't agree that the the adjective "naturally" applies here.

I see this thread was actually posted on April 1st, April Fools day, but I just had to respond that I want one of those trees. NOW!

1. How do bioluminescent trees work?

Bioluminescent trees work by using a process called bioluminescence, where living organisms produce light through a chemical reaction. In the case of bioluminescent trees, the reaction occurs between a substrate called luciferin and an enzyme called luciferase. This reaction produces light, which is then emitted through the tree's leaves.

2. What are the benefits of using bioluminescent trees in cities?

There are several potential benefits of using bioluminescent trees in cities. These include reducing the need for artificial lighting, which can save energy and reduce light pollution. Bioluminescent trees could also serve as a natural source of light during power outages. Additionally, the presence of bioluminescent trees could enhance the aesthetic appeal of cities.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks or risks associated with bioluminescent trees?

While bioluminescent trees may have many potential benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks and risks to consider. These include the potential for genetic modification of trees, the impact on natural ecosystems, and the long-term sustainability and maintenance of these trees in an urban environment. Further research is needed to fully understand and mitigate these potential risks.

4. Can bioluminescent trees be grown in any type of environment?

Bioluminescent trees require specific environmental conditions to thrive, such as a humid and warm climate. They also need access to nutrients and proper soil conditions. This means that they may not be suitable for all environments. However, with advancements in technology, it may be possible to create artificial environments that could support the growth of bioluminescent trees in a wider range of locations.

5. How close are we to seeing cities lit by bioluminescent trees?

The technology for creating bioluminescent trees already exists, and there have been successful experiments with glowing plants and trees. However, there are still many challenges to overcome before we can see entire cities lit by bioluminescent trees. These include addressing potential risks, developing sustainable and cost-effective methods of production, and gaining public acceptance. It may still be several years before we see bioluminescent trees being used on a large scale in cities.