Hand moldable plastic!

by leilafg
Tags: hand, moldable, plastic
Share this thread:
leilafg
Aug10-14, 11:49 AM
P: 3
Hi,
I am looking for a material that molds/gets shape with hand at room temperature and does not separate! Does such a material exist?
(By the way I am do not have physics background!)

Many thanks for you help :)
Leila
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
mishima
Aug10-14, 02:11 PM
P: 354
Not sure what is meant by "does not separate", but RadioShack sells this thermoplastic:

U Mold

I have used this before and basically you just pour the beads into a bowl of microwaved water, doesn't have to be boiling. You can them mold it with your hands. When cooled it is a hard plastic. It can be melted and molded again if needed. I think this is the same material used in some 3D printers.

Otherwise there are thermosets like Sculpey that are molded at room temperature before being baked in a normal oven. They cannot be remolded. But I think you already know about those.
leilafg
Aug10-14, 02:46 PM
Quote Quote by mishima View Post
Not sure what is meant by "does not separate", but RadioShack sells this thermoplastic:

U Mold

I have used this before and basically you just pour the beads into a bowl of microwaved water, doesn't have to be boiling. You can them mold it with your hands. When cooled it is a hard plastic. It can be melted and molded again if needed. I think this is the same material used in some 3D printers.

Otherwise there are thermosets like Sculpey that are molded at room temperature before being baked in a normal oven. They cannot be remolded. But I think you already know about those.

Thanks Mishima, could it be remolded endlessly?

mishima
Aug10-14, 07:05 PM
P: 354
Hand moldable plastic!

If you are careful about not contaminating it with dust/dye/paint/etc, then yes it doesn't lose any quality after multiple hardenings. I have honestly not tried it above around 10 times though. There are probably some techniques for cleaning it that I am unaware of.
leilafg
Aug11-14, 04:50 AM
Quote Quote by mishima View Post
If you are careful about not contaminating it with dust/dye/paint/etc, then yes it doesn't lose any quality after multiple hardenings. I have honestly not tried it above around 10 times though. There are probably some techniques for cleaning it that I am unaware of.

Thanks Mishima, will try it,
KR, Leila

Register to reply