Register to reply

The job of an RF Engineer

by Forensics
Tags: engineer
Share this thread:
Forensics
Aug25-14, 07:36 PM
P: 99
I am currently in college for a 2 year EET degree. Now, before you all jump onto me saying that it is not an engineering degree I already know this. I am using this time to make sure I am prepared for EE in a 4 year university. I am going to take cal 1-3, diff eq, linear algebra, calculus based physics, etc. Since I am 29 it is a much needed refresher for mathematics I never used working in the past 10 years as an electromechanical technician.

Now, with that out of the way, I have been using this time to also consider what area I would want to focus on with EE. From what I have read, RF engineering really looks like the way to go if you have the determination to study enough to break into it. So I ask, what is RF engineering really like? Are the job prospects really as good as they appear to be?

My experience in the work force has nothing to do with RF, but it has quite a lot to do with PLCs, engines, electrical work, some electronics work, VFDs, etc.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
ModestyKing
Aug26-14, 02:33 PM
P: 66
I can't offer much, just that I've heard RF engineering takes a lot of advanced math at times. Like, really advanced. However, think about it.

4G. Wifi. Radio. Bluetooth. More, even. Aren't they all RF-related? RF engineers would design the chips designed to transmit and receive data wirelessly, no? Correct me if I'm wrong, PF guys! With all the tech firms coming, and the 4G-wifi-bluetooth era at a peak and even new concepts being thought of as we speak, RF engineering should have a solid place SOMEWHERE.
jedishrfu
Aug26-14, 02:44 PM
P: 3,097
This may help get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_f...cy_engineering

Forensics
Aug26-14, 04:15 PM
The job of an RF Engineer

Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
Erm, thank you but I am more interested in hearing from actual RF engineers than reading a Wiki on the subject.
jedishrfu
Aug26-14, 05:00 PM
P: 3,097
Quote Quote by Forensics View Post
Erm, thank you but I am more interested in hearing from actual RF engineers than reading a Wiki on the subject.
My apologies for interfering...
Forensics
Aug26-14, 07:40 PM
Quote Quote by ModestyKing View Post
I can't offer much, just that I've heard RF engineering takes a lot of advanced math at times. Like, really advanced. However, think about it.

4G. Wifi. Radio. Bluetooth. More, even. Aren't they all RF-related? RF engineers would design the chips designed to transmit and receive data wirelessly, no? Correct me if I'm wrong, PF guys! With all the tech firms coming, and the 4G-wifi-bluetooth era at a peak and even new concepts being thought of as we speak, RF engineering should have a solid place SOMEWHERE.
How advanced are we talking? I really do like math quite a lot and I don't mind having to study every night for the next 7 years to break into the field if the job security is worth it.
analogdesign
Aug27-14, 01:12 PM
P: 535
Quote Quote by ModestyKing View Post

Actually the chips themselves are designed by RFIC or analog design engineers. The techniques used to make RF integrated circuits are not all that closely related to the techniques used to create discrete or high-power RF circuits. This is primarily due to two reasons. First, the parasitic levels internal to a chip are so low very high speeds can be generated that allow more classical analog techniques to be exploited. Second, there is no restriction on the impedance levels used internal to the chip so 50 Ohm design is not required.

That said, traditional RF engineering is still quite important in, for example, base station and infrastructure as well as handset design.
Forensics
Aug27-14, 03:25 PM
Quote Quote by analogdesign View Post
Actually the chips themselves are designed by RFIC or analog design engineers. The techniques used to make RF integrated circuits are not all that closely related to the techniques used to create discrete or high-power RF circuits. This is primarily due to two reasons. First, the parasitic levels internal to a chip are so low very high speeds can be generated that allow more classical analog techniques to be exploited. Second, there is no restriction on the impedance levels used internal to the chip so 50 Ohm design is not required.

That said, traditional RF engineering is still quite important in, for example, base station and infrastructure as well as handset design.
Now I have read all over that it is hard to get into RF engineering so I have to ask, exactly how hard is it to get into RF engineering and what should I focus what I study in my spare time on?
Devils
Aug27-14, 04:04 PM
P: 175
Quote Quote by Forensics View Post
what I study in my spare time on?
Become a an amateur ham or radio astronomer! Get licenced & do all the things hams do, from building antennas to talking to satellites & tropospheric ducting. Be totally puzzled why your RF setup doesn't work eventhough you did everything by the book! Replicate Marconi & discover skywave propagation! Play with the Kennelly–Heaviside layer before breakfast! Amaze your friends by knowing where we are in the sunspot cycle!

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training
http://www.radio-astronomy.org/
Forensics
Aug27-14, 05:51 PM
Quote Quote by Devils View Post
Become a an amateur ham or radio astronomer! Get licenced & do all the things hams do, from building antennas to talking to satellites & tropospheric ducting. Be totally puzzled why your RF setup doesn't work eventhough you did everything by the book! Replicate Marconi & discover skywave propagation! Play with the Kennelly–Heaviside layer before breakfast! Amaze your friends by knowing where we are in the sunspot cycle!

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training
http://www.radio-astronomy.org/
That's actually something I am going to look into. Thanks man.

Register to reply