Can You Overdose on Chocolate?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, some people have tried to get drunk from chocolate containing liqueur, but it didn't work out.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Is it possible to overdose on chocolate like it is possible to get alcohol poisoning? Some day I want to just go into a store, buy 1 or 2 of everything on the candy isle, and pig out :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: but i don't want to die

Physics news on Phys.org
It can kill dogs, so why not birds?

You'd die of your stomach exploding before you'd die of poisoning from anything in the chocolate, unless it was laced.

n WHO WOULD DO THAT! n

Pengwuino said:
Is it possible to overdose on chocolate like it is possible to get alcohol poisoning? Some day I want to just go into a store, buy 1 or 2 of everything on the candy isle, and pig out :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: but i don't want to die

Yes it is possible to OD on chocolate. Well, technically it is an OD on sugar.

Gert Fyllking of the Swedish radio station RIX FM carried out an experiment in live radio, where he tried to see if he could get drunk from enough chocolate containing liqueur (it was a part of a section that is called "ask us" where the listeners send in questions that they want an answer for and the crew finds the answers).

Needless to say, he didn't succeed. After having devouered around 30 of them in a short period of time, he got so sick that he couldn't continue eating them.

After the experiment they asked an M.D. about why this occured. The M.D. answered that after a while the human body gets a sugar shock and you basically can't eat more. This was becuase the blood-sugar level in your body is so high and since it was eaten during such a short time period the insulin couldn't counter much of it that you feel sick and is therefore unable to continue eating.

I'd say that this qualifies as a form of poisioning, since it has simillarities to alcohol poisoning.

So yes, you can have an OD by eating chocolate, but it must contain sugar and it must be consumed over a short period of time.

NOTE: Maybe move this to biology?

Last edited:
I bet you could hear that guy's pancreas screaming a mile away.

Well there's this article...
http://www.uspressnews.com/articles/1104

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can you really overdose on chocolate?

Yes, it is possible to overdose on chocolate. Consuming too much chocolate can lead to a condition called chocolate toxicity, which is caused by an excessive amount of theobromine, a compound found in chocolate.

2. What are the symptoms of a chocolate overdose?

The symptoms of a chocolate overdose can range from mild to severe and may include vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, restlessness, tremors, seizures, and even death in extreme cases.

3. How much chocolate is considered an overdose?

The amount of chocolate that can lead to an overdose varies depending on the type of chocolate and the weight of the person consuming it. Generally, consuming more than 20mg of theobromine per kilogram of body weight can be toxic.

4. Can children overdose on chocolate more easily than adults?

Yes, children are more susceptible to chocolate toxicity because their bodies are smaller and may not be able to process theobromine as efficiently as adults. It is important to keep chocolate and other foods containing theobromine out of reach of children.

5. Is it possible to overdose on white chocolate?

While white chocolate does contain theobromine, it is in much smaller amounts compared to dark or milk chocolate. Therefore, it is unlikely to overdose on white chocolate, but it is still possible if consumed in large quantities.