Solution: Solve f(x)=x2+\int_0^x e^{-t}f(x-t)dt for f(x)

• Thread starter himanshu121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, solving the equation f(x)=x2+\int_0^x e^{-t}f(x-t)dt has the purpose of finding the function f(x) that satisfies the given equation, allowing for a better understanding and prediction of its behavior. This equation can be solved analytically using integration techniques, but may require numerical methods for more complex functions. Possible approaches include the method of undetermined coefficients, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method. The function f(x) must be continuous, differentiable, and satisfy the initial condition f(0) = 0 for the integral to exist. Solving this equation can be useful in various real-world applications, such as
himanshu121
[tex] f(x)=x^2+\int_0^x e^{-t}f(x-t)dt[/tex] ...(I)

Find f(x)

Okay what i did:

For
[tex]\int_0^x e^{-t}f(x-t)dt[/tex]

I substituted h=x-t =>dh=-dt
so [tex]\int_0^x e^{h-x}f(h)dh[/tex]

Now i differentiated (I)
so i got
f'(x)=2x+f(x) after solvin this by integrating factor method i got different results which involve ex

But i had to prove f(x)=x2+x3/3

Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamental theorem of calculus says

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f(h) \, dh = f(x)
[/tex]

However, when you differentiate, you don't have something in this form! You have the form

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f(\mathb{x,} h) \, dh
[/tex]

Fortunately, in this case, you don't need the full messy version; you can factor [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] out of the integrand and then differentiate normally.

Thanks Hurkyl I got corrected

now i have f'(x)=x2+2x

which gives me the result

Still i want to know how would u have approached the pro

1. What is the purpose of solving f(x)=x2+\int_0^x e^{-t}f(x-t)dt for f(x)?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the function f(x) that satisfies the given equation. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and predicting its values for different inputs.

2. Can this equation be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

This equation can be solved analytically using integration techniques. However, for more complex functions, numerical methods may be required to find an approximate solution.

3. What are the possible approaches to solving this equation?

One possible approach is to use the method of undetermined coefficients, which involves assuming a solution and then solving for the unknown coefficients. Another approach is to use Laplace transforms to convert the equation into a simpler form and then solve it. Numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method can also be used to approximate the solution.

4. Are there any specific conditions or restrictions for the function f(x) in this equation?

Yes, the function f(x) must be continuous and differentiable on the interval [0, x] for the integral to exist. Additionally, the function must also satisfy the initial condition f(0) = 0.

5. How can solving this equation be useful in real-world applications?

Solving this equation can be useful in modeling real-world phenomena, such as population growth or chemical reactions. It can also help in solving differential equations in physics, engineering, and other fields.