Calc Midterm: Solving the Limit Question (1-cosx)/(x^2) | 0.5 or Nonexistent?

• Thread starter plane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discussed the solution to a question on a calculus midterm, specifically the limit as x approaches 0 of (1-cosx)/(x^2). The individual multiplied the top and bottom by the conjugate of (1-cosx) and factored out (sinx/x) twice to arrive at an answer of 0.5. However, some friends argued that the limit does not exist due to the (x^2) in the denominator. Ultimately, it was determined that the limit does indeed exist and is equal to 0.5.
plane
ok, so today we had our calc midterm, and on it was this question:

the limit as X->0 of (1-cosx)/(x^2)

what i did was multiply the top and bottom with the conjugate of (1-cosx) which is (1+cosx). then i managed to factor out (sinx/x) twice. since (sinx/x) is just one, iarrived at the answer of 0.5 for the limit of this question.

some of my friends tell me that limit does not exist, because the (X^2) would evaluate to zero and you can't have a zero in the denominator.

so who's right?

Physics news on Phys.org
you are right. [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0 } \frac{1-\cos^{2}x}{x^{2}(1+\cos x)} = \frac{\sin^{2}x}{x^{2}(1+\cos x)} = \frac{\sin x}{x} \frac{\sin x}{x}\frac{1}{1+\cos x} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Last edited:
yes! thank you.

1. What is the purpose of solving the limit question (1-cosx)/(x^2) | 0.5 or Nonexistent?

The purpose of solving this limit question is to determine the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value or as the input approaches infinity. This can help us understand the behavior of the function and its graph, and can be useful in various applications in mathematics and science.

2. How do I solve the limit question (1-cosx)/(x^2) | 0.5 or Nonexistent?

To solve this limit question, you can use various methods such as factoring, substitution, or L'Hopital's rule. First, try to simplify the expression by factoring or using trigonometric identities. If that does not work, you can substitute the given value or use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit.

3. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve the limit question (1-cosx)/(x^2) | 0.5 or Nonexistent?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to solve this limit question. Many graphing calculators have built-in functions that can evaluate limits at a given point. However, it is important to note that you should understand the concept and steps of solving the limit question rather than relying solely on a calculator.

4. What does it mean if the limit question (1-cosx)/(x^2) | 0.5 or Nonexistent is undefined?

If the limit question is undefined, it means that the function does not have a finite limit at the given point. This could be due to a vertical asymptote, a removable discontinuity, or the function not approaching a specific value as the input approaches a certain value. Further analysis of the function may be needed to understand its behavior at that point.

5. Why is it important to evaluate limits in calculus?

Evaluating limits is an important concept in calculus because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point or as the input approaches a certain value. This concept is essential in understanding continuity, derivatives, and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus and have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.